Hello from The PaganKnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paganknight

Reaction score
Been Lurking here for a bit and thought i might say Hello to all.

Ok a little about my self . . .I am 53 err 54 on the 12th of March hehe.
been brewing for a bout 5 years and have done bouth wine and beer from kits till a few years ago i started all grain but since i live in the middle of no were the closest HBS is over 200 miles a way. i get most of my stuff by the internet. So i ended up malting my own malt . . Barley is $4.80 a bushel 48lbs. at the local grain eleavator compared to over $65 for 50lbs. by the time i pay shiping.
Still working on my equipment but i use a big cooler for my mash tun using Rims to hit my temps i do full step mashes since my malting is a bit under modafied.
boil in a propain Turkey fryer. Crush my grain with a salvaged Tredmill and i still use Bottles. been getting stuff to gather to go to Keging soon i hope.

Wow - I am truly and honestly impressed!! What is your setup for malting?

I love this post!

I start with about 5lb of barley and soak in a bucket 6hr than drain wait 6hr and repete til grain waight is 40to50% more seperate to foil cake pans with covers. usely 6 of them, i trun and mist them for three or four days till the acrospire is 75 to 85 % grown then i put it in a food dryer at 120 deg. for about 10 hr. then rase the temp to max about 212 for 1hr or till the rootlets are good and brown. let cool and then i scrub the grain on the screens to get the rootlets off. I then put the base malt in a storage box and let sit a few days before i use it or roast it as i need not too fancy of a setup but it gets me by

You are someone who really wants to make beer. Homebrewers are notorious for rigging something up and managing to make it all work for them, so this is pretty admirable in my opinion.

What styles are you usually making?

Can you post pics of your malting process, I want to grow and malt and kiln my own barley and grow my own hops.
Thanks

Oh --- welcome to Home Brew Talk!

I will post Pic's when i start the Next batch got to go get more grain :) if the weather will let me

Latest posts

Back