Hello from Saskatchewan Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trenchant

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm a broke college student from Regina, Sask that got interested in the challenge of making beer. I saw one of those liquid kits at Super Store for $12 and figured I had to try it. My mom was heavy into wine making and has all the equipment needed(close to 12 carboys).

The first batch of beer tastes pretty dang good so far. I left it in the primary fermentor for just over 10 days before going on to bottle on new years eve. I had to try a little bit as we were bottling.

I don't have expensive plastic beer bottles or a corny keg yet so I have all the beer in 32 pop bottles(4 are 2L). They are sitting in my bedroom right now which is in the basement and seems to be constantly at the perfect temperature.

I'm already getting anxious to try the beer. I found an old 5# CO2 tank for sale locally for $30 and I purchased a CO2 regulator for $60. From there I made my own counter pressure bottle filler to both force carbonate bottles and turn pop bottles into kegs. That was just me having a good time being creative but for just over $10 it actually works! :D

I'm going to start another beer kit right away and after that I'm thinking about actually brewing beer. I'm new to all this and don't quite understand anything at all about the different ways to boil and what to boil but I will be reading everything I can. The plan is to put the next batch of beer in a corny keg(still need to find one) and build a mini fridge into a keg fridge.

Welcome aboard, Trenchant. Try this link: http://www.howtobrew.com

It sounds like you're getting a good start. One of your first steps is to see if you have a good Homebrew store in your area. You'll only go so far with those kits. If you really want to brew your own, you'll need hops and malt. There's always mail order, but I think it's cheaper to walk into a store than to pay shipping.

Don't forget to put your location in your profile!

Welcome to HBT! Always nice to see another Canadian aboard, particularly one from the prairies.

Regina is my home town, and I still visit there quite a bit. You are fortunate -- there are a lot of good homebrewers in Regina, a good homebrew shop, and some great brew pubs (boy I sure miss Bushwakkers).

Are you a member of the ALES Club? You should pop in on a meeting sometime if you aren't.

Thanks for all the warm welcomes!

Are you a member of the ALES Club? You should pop in on a meeting sometime if you aren't.

No I'm still exploring the local brewing community. I have to visit a few of the local homebrew shops. I went to one wine kit store thats really close to my house but they didn't have very much at all for beer equipment.

I got really lucky today though! I can't say where I got it but I picked up a used CO2 regulator with a gas line and ball lock valve already on the end! That means I can hopefully take back the $80 worth of CO2 regulating equipment I purchased that is actually made for a mig welder. With some new guages and a bit of cleaning the regulator will hopefully work good. It's from an old soda pop setup.

My parents own a fast food business in a local mall. While there today I went around to the various shops serving pepsi trying to find one that still used kegs but they have all been converted to the bibs. I'm hoping to find a restraunt that carries them and buy out the deposit on a few kegs. I know the local pepsi warehouse still uses them because they were loading up a truck full when I went in there for parts a little while ago. I've heard they only have a $20 or $25 deposit on them as well! That seems extremely low but it would be awesome if it was that low.

*UPDATE*
I just made a quick trip over to a local restraunt and picked up 2 corny kegs! Now I almost have everything I need. I need to find a beer line out and some kind of a fridge faucet or tower.

Back