Hello from Poland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaziel

Reaction score
Hi folks, good to be on this forum. Basically I'm in late 30' married 3 kids living in big city in South Western Poland and hoping to move to to rural areas close to Czech boarder in next few years. I've been brewing since 2014 but I was having like 4y break due to kids (twins) being born and lack of time. Restarted my hobby last year and since that time I brew like 20 batches (20 and 10l). Updated my brewhouse with some new equipment.
This year was really nice for me in terms of trying new things. I've build a keg vessel with false bottom. Tried B.I.A.B, few new strains of yeast and hops and also malts (like Red Ale malt). I fermented in fridge (lager) for first time. I made worth chiller from stainless corrugated pipeline. I got PH meter and phosphoric acid to lower down PH. So with around ~30 beers under my bel I feel like I'm advance noob.

I'm not a huge fan of APA or IPA, in upcoming months most likely I will be brewing lagers (like Marzen) and some Wheat beers like Wit or Weizen (my favorite). I have access to free whole leaf hops (Magnum, Perle and Polaris) so most likely I will brew some funky German style drinks.

Good to be here hope I can contribute something to the community and for sure I want to learn and gain more experience.

I've also build DIY malt mill - two roller and this actually boosted my beer on new level. Actually look (worth being much more clear) and efficiency got + by few points.

Hello from your neighbor to the south in CZ. For whatever reason I started brewing the same time I had kids... So I try to squeeze in brew days about 4-6 times a year.

Though in my mind Czech beer reigns Supreme in the pilsner arena I've had some great craft beer from Poland and whenever I go there it's quite easy to find good affordable craft beer even in the bigger supermarkets.

Na zdraví!

Welcome to the forum, kaziel!

I'm not a huge fan of APA or IPA, in upcoming months most likely I will be brewing lagers (like Marzen) and some Wheat beers
Lubie kazde slowo w tym stwierdzeniu! :D Am not a fan of catty-flavoured beers either, being a huge fan of Lagers instead.
The cold weather (that is, Lagering Season) is coming, hurry up to add under your belt as much Lager styles as you can, till the spring returns! Lagers are surprisingly easy to make once you've got the basics. I brew every style of traditional European beers, and Lagers are what come out the best, far better that any other beers of mine.

hope I can contribute something to the community
Let me take you at your word :) Please contribute your experience with Gozdawa yeasts if you have used any. I purchased me recently their whole range, Lagers included, but haven't used any yet, besides the Noble Saison.

Please contribute your experience with Gozdawa yeasts if you have used any.
Sadly I must admit I never used them :(. I'm a big fan of other Polish brand "Fermentum Mobile" - liquid type - very good exp with those but not for lagers so far.

Been lurkin there. The thread convinced me that Lagers could be brewed in summer. I even tried a tiny batch (kinda Helles with Saflager W34/70 @18-22C). Well, technically it was a Lager, but "artistically" it tasted like a fake one - without the cold Winter months captured into the glass. So, I keep with the tradition: no Lagers between March and October.

Last edited:
Fermentum Mobile
Tried one of them several years ago, the Wind And Willows English Ale. Something in the wein of M36 or S04, just a bit less tart and more estery. Pity, I was a n00b back then and didn't harvest or bank my yeasts. I'd like to have some now for my Bitters, it was a nice yeast as far as I remember.

Hi Kaziel. Hello to Poland from Brittany.
You mention red ale malt. Is that Bestmalz' Red-X from Germany? A very interesting malt, but it can disappoint in the wrong recipe. I did make a great beer by mixing it with a bit of Rye malt and crystal Rye. I think I'll try that one again as it's been a couple of years. Also use it as the base malt in my stout with good effect.

Protos - I was using Irish Darkness for Irish Red Ale (I was also using Red malt but from Polish malthouse). Than I used same yeast cake to make FES (~10,5% ABV) and IPA of 6,5% ABV. Good high fluctuating Yeast strain - clear ferment no off flavors especially important for FES (I think). For this Red Ale I've also used Irish moss and some hibiskus (~10g) and colour was really good.

Attachments

• 1657217185021.jpg
    1657217185021.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20220704_182756.jpg
    IMG_20220704_182756.jpg
    604.6 KB · Views: 0
Back