Hello from NW Kansas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rayzer

Reaction score
Hello everyone! :mug:

My wonderful wife gave me some money for my birthday to put toward the equipment for home brewing. I just had to promise her that by the time she had our new baby and that I will be able to brew her some lagers.

It’s something I’ve always wanted to do! It turns out that home brewing is in my blood. My parents back used to brew beer and some wine back in the ‘60s. Since we are living out in the boonies in NW Kansas the closest brew shop is in east Denver, about 3 hours away. It is a place called The Brew Hut, so far anyway I really like the guys there.

I bought a couple of Brewer’s Best Kits. German Altbier Style is what I brewed for my first batch, I hope to be able to bottle it tomorrow. I also picked up a Amber Cerveza Style that I will probably brew up next week. I’ve never really like the heavily bitter beer that I’ve tasted at micro brew pubs in the past, I’m sure though that soon my tastes will expand. :D

For my first batch we had a couple of really hot days at the beginning, and my primary fermentation temps got up into the mid to upper 70s. I don’t think that will hurt my brew.

The fermentation really took off fast and furious and on the 3rd day there were no more bubbles coming up the air lock and the head had all collapsed. The SG had dropped from 1.060 on brew day to 1.016 on the 3rd day. Which is weird because the recipe sheet says the Starting Gravity should be 1.044 – 1.048. I am sure I was taking the reading correctly. I went ahead and siphoned it to the secondary fermentor after that 3rd day. 10 days later in the secondary the SG is still at 1.016.

I look forward chatting more with you all as I learn to brew different types of beer and even making some wine and mead.

Ray

Hi there and welcome to HBT! :mug:
I live about 3 miles east of the Brew Hut and I know what you mean. They are a great group of guys. Have you ever tried the beers in the brew pub they own? It is attached to their Home Brew Store in the back. They make some good beer!

You better get cracking on the lager thing. You are going to need a refrigerator that you can convert into a lagering chamber so you can ferment at colder temps. Perhaps some of our lager experts can chime in here.

Welcome aboard. My SWMBO swore she'd only drink my beer if it were a lager (american style pilsner).

Now her favorite beer in the world is my "Krisper Koslch".

Her second favorite is my "SMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde".

And if I'm running low, she won't hesitate to dip into my house favorite "Blue Balls Belgian Wit".

I dare say you'll be able to sway her to a good light ale relatively soon. Lagers are a PITA.

As far as your Brew Shop situation, might be worth checking out some online stores like midwest.com of austinhomebrew.com.

Great prices and low delivery cost.

Have fun brewing and ask all the questions you need.

Back