Hello from Northern Ontario, Canada!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

megamanisrad

Reaction score
Hi everyone, my name is Danny (megamanisrad) I am from a town called...wait for it...Moose Factory, Ontario! This is my first year of homebrewing...I'm quite pumped as I have my first batch in the 2nd fermentation process...I hope it works out!
Winter is quickly approaching...looking forward to making some nice Christmas ales!
Cheers!

You live in Moose Factory? When you said you were from Northern Ontario I expected Thunder Bay. Timmins at the most. That is some serious homebrewing! A friend of mine works occasionally as a paramedic in Attawapiskat.

Where are you getting your ingredients and equipment?

Welcome to the boards, and good luck brewing!

@Batinse
Wow! Small world! It's crazy you know someone who works in Attawapiskat! Now that place is isolated. I just started brewing and right now I have my sister shipping me up stuff from North Bay. I hope to find a good online supplier soon instead of sending her to do the dirty work :)
Noticing you are from Vancouver...I just moved away from there! Well actually I was living in Langley. Moved back to MF in September. You do Dan's Homebrewing on E. Hastings??
Cheers!

Dan's is a second home for me. I get some stuff online these days too, but I've been buying from Dan's for years.

Cheers! Hope your Christmas Ales serve you well!

Langley you say? I lived in Langley all my life up until 6 years ago when we moved to Vernon. No Homebrew Supply stores here so I started one www.hopdawgs.ca
How long were you in Langley? Where?
We were up in Brookswood.
HD

@hopdawgs
I totally lived in Brookswood too! But it was only for 3 months or so. I lived in Langley City for about a year, then moved in Aldergrove for a year!
I checked out your site, looks awesome! Would love to do some business with you! Think it would be pretty expensive to ship stuff out here from Vernon??
Peace!

@Batinse
Wow! Small world! It's crazy you know someone who works in Attawapiskat! Now that place is isolated. I just started brewing and right now I have my sister shipping me up stuff from North Bay. I hope to find a good online supplier soon instead of sending her to do the dirty work :)
Noticing you are from Vancouver...I just moved away from there! Well actually I was living in Langley. Moved back to MF in September. You do Dan's Homebrewing on E. Hastings??
Cheers!

Nice i am from North Bay. NOt much in the way of home brew stores here. Where is she getting stuff from?

@metches
It's called The Homebrew Center (www.homebrewcenter.ca) just off of Airport Rd and #11. I just bought a few of their brand name kits.
Have you ever visited them before? It was the only place I could find that was relatively close to Moose Factory.

Yeah. I buy the brewhouse kits from them. Nice people, but there is not a lot of equipment, and they only have kits. If you wanted do extract, or all grain, you would be out of luck. I think they pretty much specialize in wine.

Welcome, I just google mapped Moose Factory and daaaaaaaaang that is up there! I mean I've been fly-in fishing north of Wawa and my brother played hockey in the OHL, but wow. Either way, welcome and :mug:

@metches
yah I bought 2 of their kits and have one brewing as we speak. how have yours turned out? i sort of freaked a bit cause during my 2nd fermentation I haven't seen much bubble action in the airlock. its day 10 and still nothing!
@ThePaleHorse
Thanks for the welcome! Yah whenever someone asks where I'm from I just say 'about 16 hours north of Toronto'
We are 9 miles south of the James Bay...we are a fisherman/hunters dream! Not so much a brew hub though :-(

@metches
yah I bought 2 of their kits and have one brewing as we speak. how have yours turned out? i sort of freaked a bit cause during my 2nd fermentation I haven't seen much bubble action in the airlock. its day 10 and still nothing!
@ThePaleHorse
Thanks for the welcome! Yah whenever someone asks where I'm from I just say 'about 16 hours north of Toronto'
We are 9 miles south of the James Bay...we are a fisherman/hunters dream! Not so much a brew hub though :-(

I have done the Pilsner and the Pale Ale. I did them before i knew about fermentation temperature and had them ferment at 75-78. That being said, they still turned out pretty decent. I have also done the Stout and Red, but have not tapped the kegs yet. I will definetly do more in brew house in the future. My next kit will be festa, just to see how much of a difference the proper yeast make.

. My next kit will be festa, just to see how much of a difference the proper yeast make.

Well the Festa comes with S23 for lager yeast. When I did my 2 kits, I switched it out in favour of W34/70 and man it was a great couple of brews.

I just put in a Brew House to see what a difference between the Festa and BH would be.

Too bad you are so far north regarding availability of brewing ingredients. A few of our members ( Members of Barleyment ) in Ottawa recently did a bulk order of Festa kits... 2 skids worth IIRC, which made it quite a bit cheaper to get.

@boo boo
yah it's sort of annoying living up here sometimes, but there is money to be made up here :) so for now, until I figure out a better system, my sister will ship me up BH kits!
@metches
i am fermenting at a temperature around 75C. Do you think it'll turn out ok? I am trying to figure out ways to keep the brew cool as it ferments...any ideas? I live in a single story house without a basement.

thanks for the tips everyone! i think you guys should definitely come experience the moose factory someday hahaha

I am in Cochrane - and have just started buying from http://baybrewing.ca/ where I buy liquid extracts, hops and grains (though not all-grain yet, for me.) If interested I could always ship stuff to Moosonee on the PBX - just let me know.

B in Cochrane

@boo boo
yah it's sort of annoying living up here sometimes, but there is money to be made up here :) so for now, until I figure out a better system, my sister will ship me up BH kits!
@metches
i am fermenting at a temperature around 75C. Do you think it'll turn out ok? I am trying to figure out ways to keep the brew cool as it ferments...any ideas? I live in a single story house without a basement.

thanks for the tips everyone! i think you guys should definitely come experience the moose factory someday hahaha

Yeah it should be fine. Both of mine were feremented at about that temperature, however, i did notice the hangovers to be slight worse. I just got a freezer for lagering and i will be doing my next batches with better temperature control.

Moose Factory, you've got me beat! I'm originally from Timmins but have been living in Kingston for the past few years now for school.

I just started homebrewing as well, have my first batch, a Festabrew Pale Ale that's been in primary since Saturday

@ArcticBrewer
You're in Kingston eh? That's where they send the people from the community to when they have health related issues that cannot be resolved at our little hospital! I wish you well in your first batch...mines bottled and is conditioning as we speak! Already thinking about the second batch haha!
@metches
I'll definitely let you know how this turns out. Seeing the kits are so heavy and cost so much to ship up here, I doubt I'll be doing these again, unless I buy them myself in NB!

Back