Hello from Massachusetts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free_Eagle

Reaction score
First time brewer here that really enjoys all of the information everyone provides for each other. I am looking forward to my first brew of Irish Red Ale that has been in primary for one week so far. Thanks to your info I have curbed what I was originally planning to do. I look forward to trading ideas and continuing to read for answers to all my newby questions. :mug:

Welcome. This is a great place to evchange ideas. Irish Red, what did you do/what was the recipe? Hope this is a fruitful forum for you.

peace- Tom

Be it my first brew, I used a standard extract kit from Brewers Outpost. But here is the following information that I do have:

Water Source: Bottled Spring Water
Grains: Provided with kit (forgot to record type and such, found software during boil time)
Malt Extract: Briess Golden Light 7lbs.
Bittering Hops: UK Challenger Pellets 1oz. Alpha of 8%

Without pre-boiling the water(figured spring water sure be fairly pure of misc. harms) I put the grains in water for about 20 minutes. Then added extract, brought to boil, and added the pellet hops. Boiled for 60 minutes. Chilled wort, pitched yeast (which I am now realizing I did not record either), a dry Nottingham yeast, which I did not re-hydrate as the kit stated I should not for whatever reason. OG of 1.054, target was 1.054. One week in fermenter and gravity is at 1.012, which it has been at for two days now. I took a test sample before securing fermenter lid and kept that aside as I read in a book for hydrometer readings. This test sample smells awesome and looks great. I figure another week in the primary and I will bottle. I did buy a secondary fermenter but due to everything I read decided I will not use on my first brew. I do not want to risk infection and oxidizing it due to lack of experience with my equipment. My next is a stout that I will surely put into the secondary as I understand a stout needs more conditioning time for its peak flavor.

Hello from the People Republic of Cambridge!

Furture hopefull brewer, I am reading up on kits and reciepes.

I used Homebrewers Outpost, I found them the cheapest for the most part online. But you have a brew store on Mass. Ave in North Cambridge, The Modern Brewer. I drive by there all the time at work and have always wanted to stop by and check them out. Now that I have started brewing it will be even more worth while.

Welcome from Norton. Like I've said a couple times, there are about 4.9 million mass-folks on this board for some reason. I guess we're just the homebrewing capital.. OF.. THE... UNIVERSE!!!!! lol.

I run into the Modern Brewer all the time. They're one of the places i can get to realticely easily that has White Labs yeast (which I really like). It's a great place... a little on the pricey side but they're really helpful and they have a ton of stuff in there.

There are a lot of Mass guys here. Why aren't there more homebrew shops then? I have to go to Woburn or cambridge to get anything beer related. Anyone know of any other MA home brew stores?

MA Cambridge Modern Homebrew Emporium 2304 Massachusetts Ave 02140 617-498-0400 617-498-0444
MA Foxborough The Witches Brew 12 Maple Ave. 02035 508-543-0433
MA Leominster NFG Homebrew Supplies 72 Summer Street 01453 1-866-559-1955 none
MA Marlboro Strange Brew Beer & Winemaking Supplies 41 Boston Post Rd. E. (Rte. 20) 01752 888-BREWING none
MA Northampton Beer & Winemaking Supplies, Inc. 154 King St. 01060 413-586-0150 413-584-5674
MA West Boylston West Boylston Homebrew Emporium Causeway Mall, Rt. 12 01583 508-835-3374 518-283-1893
MA Woburn Beer and Wine Hobby 155 New Boston St., Unit T 01801 781-933-8818 781-933-1359

This is the list from BYO
http://byo.com/referenceguide/supplydirectory/northeast.html

MA Cambridge Modern Homebrew Emporium 2304 Massachusetts Ave 02140 617-498-0400 617-498-0444
MA Marlboro Strange Brew Beer & Winemaking Supplies 41 Boston Post Rd. E. (Rte. 20) 01752 888-BREWING none
MA Northampton Beer & Winemaking Supplies, Inc. 154 King St. 01060 413-586-0150 413-584-5674
MA West Boylston West Boylston Homebrew Emporium Causeway Mall, Rt. 12 01583 508-835-3374 518-283-1893
MA Woburn Beer and Wine Hobby 155 New Boston St., Unit T 01801 781-933-8818 781-933-1359

Hoppy Brewer in Attleboro
http://www.hoppybrewer.com/

Here's a good list of most things beer in Mass
http://www.brewingnews.com/webpdfs/YBN/YBN_Massachusetts .pdf

+1 on the Hoppy Brewer. It's small, but it gets the job done (that's what she said)

I'm in the East Taunton area now, and I discovered Tamarack Wine & Spirits in Lakeville. They don't have a lot of HB supplies, just a few things that you might need in a pinch (bottle caps, Iodophor, etc.)

Witch's Brew in Foxboro!!

Also Walpole Wine and Spirits in... Walpole... has a decent selection of HB stuff for a liquor store.

And Hoppy Brewer is a great little place. Uncle Frank's da man.

+1 on the Hoppy Brewer. It's small, but it gets the job done (that's what she said)

WAY, WAY way way way way way WAYYYYYYYY TMI!!!!!!!!!. Not for nuttin', but why would you EVER repeat that?!

Getting back on topic, I'm a BIG fan of TWB. In fact, I generally teh big guy sitting by the kegerator espousing BS and working diligently to drain the keg..

PTN

Also Walpole Wine and Spirits in... Walpole... has a decent selection of HB stuff for a liquor store.

+1 Uncle Frank rules, We had some beers and wings with him Monday night. He's brewing @ John Harvards in Machester CT. now.

+1 Uncle Frank rules, We had some beers and wings with him Monday night. He's brewing @ John Harvards in Machester CT. now.

yeah, he mentioned that last time I was there. He was starting the next day. It's been a while since I've been over to the HP since I'm so close to the Witch's Brew and have been known to hop on the Red Line over long lunches out to Porter Square and the Modern Brewer for White Labs yeast.

I live a few blocks from Homebrew Emporium on Mass Ave, and I have met nothing but good people and good times there. Always willing to talk and help, and fresh ingredients.

+1 On Hoppy Brewer and uncle Frank!!!!

Hi everyone, I'm a new brewer and new to the forum. Hailing from Brighton, MA. I'll be brewing my third batch this weekend, a Three Floyds Alpha King Pale Ale clone. It's good to see that there are so many homebrewers in the area. Are there any gatherings throughout the year?

Yes, www.wort.org is a local club they are having a meeting tomorrow night in Medford. I live in Cambridge. I have never been to a meeting and it will be my first one. I just brewed my first batch last Saturday, so I am interested in meeting others as well.

Yes, www.wort.org is a local club they are having a meeting tomorrow night in Medford. I live in Cambridge. I have never been to a meeting and it will be my first one. I just brewed my first batch last Saturday, so I am interested in meeting others as well.

The worts are a great group. Tell Kris, Fred & MaryAnne, Wade, et all I said hi!

There's also South Shore Brew Club (I'm a member of SSBC). The Worts and SSBC do a ton of stuff together (cookouts and competitions) and we share a fair number of members.

SSBC tends to have larger meetings... we tend to have about 20-25 members show up while i THINK the Worts meetings tend to be a bit smaller.

The Worts would be a hell of a lot more convenient for you in Brighton though since our meetings are at my house 1/2 the time (in Norton) and 1/2 the time in Middletown at another members house.

www.southshorebrewclub.org

You are certainly welcome to come to the Masstoberfest at my place on September 20th. It is coincidentally timed to coincide (did I just misspell two words out of 4?) with the start of Bavaria's Octoberfest. There will be drinking, eating, drinking, maybe some brewing, drinking, goofing around, eating... You get the idea. All Mass brewers, former Mass brewers, future Mass brewers, near Mass brewers and Mass transplants are welcome.

PTN
I gotta stay off the computer when I've been at the Apfelwine. EdWort, you M*^(er!!!!! That sheet kickes my arse!

That sounds awesome. Sign me up =) I take every chance I get to leave the people republic :mug: of Cambridge..

I found a small convenice store that is also a brew shop in Haverhill MA. 93 north to 97. At the top of the ramp go left after the next light its on the right handside. The guy has great pricing on hardware. I found a copper coil wort chiller for $79. they sell the same one in woburn for $125 and Modern brewer sells a stainless stell one for $89. That is just an example. His hop selection was really big too.

Latest posts

Back