Hello from Charleston SC

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey there. I've been brewing for about 2 years now. I live in Charleston with 4 kids and I work weekends/homeschool kids during week so my brew time is always a bit limited but i love it. I love the smell of a hot dripping bag of grains.

Anyways, I have a question that may be better in the AG forum. I have always done extract but I am moving to try all grain. i just can't decide if I should go the cooler route or if I should do BIAB. I have read a ton of the comparison threads and am still torn. I certainly don't have a huge budget but I have a lot of what I need anyway. My concern is my kettle size. I have a 34 quart kettle at the moment. I already own several rectangular coolers that I could easily put a manifold in the bottom of.

BIAB seems easier but I am afraid my kettle is undersized. What is y'alls opinion? Is 34 quarts big enough to do 5 gallon BIAB batches?

Back