Hello from Ames, IA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

werdna

Reaction score
Greetings!

Many years back I was brewing and bottling a number of extract kits. They were great! Life got busy and I hadn't brewed any beer for close to a decade.

Recently moved to Ames, IA to work at my alma mater Iowa State University. A more realistic job has once again provided me the free time needed to start brewing again. Still mostly extract / partial grain kits. I asked anyone I could find around here if my $$ was best spent going to kegging or whole grain first. Everyone said kegging was the place to go next so I found a used kegerator and my next batch should go into a corny in just over a week.

I did a batch of Gnome rootbeer this week and so far the family loves it. For now there will be a root beer and a homebrew on tap.

Maybe this summer will be whole grains. I've started the price watching spreadsheet to make sure I snag any good deals on whole grain gear when they show up.

-Andrew

NewBackBar.JPG

Go Cyclones!!!!!

Okay, now that I have that out of my system, if you want to just kind of ease into the all-grain world, look into doing a few partial mash BIAB batches. The only special equipment needed (in addition to what you probably already have right now) is a 5 gallon paint strainer that you can get at your local hardware store. My favorite recipe that I use with this setup is

3 lbs light DME
4 lbs 2-row
13 oz any specialty grain you want
1 oz cascade @60
.75 oz cascade @15
1 packet S05

I've had some mighty tasty experiments with just this much. I used roasted barley once and I swear it tasted like an iced coffee (only better).

And for the record, I'm officially jealous of your kegerator setup.

ISU Computer Science 1999

GO CYCLONES!!!
Werdna I'm in Ames, and art ISU, let's get together and work up a brew day.

Back