Hello From Alberta, Canada

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeNomad

Reaction score
I just sampled my first beers from my first two batches I made with a friend and they are awesome! Just tried the first one after the bottles sat for 2 weeks. We used kits (take it easy on the new guy now, it was quick and easy). Anyway I have a lovely Munich Dark Larger and a Corona clone. I would like to try to make an extract beer for the next batch if I have time. Maybe a nice Scottish Red.

I do have a few questions though. What do people think about twist-off bottles. I think I read somewhere on this board that people find they leak. I have a mixed bunch of bottles but the twist-offs seem identical to the pop-offs. Do I have bottle bombs sitting under my desk?

O2 absorbing caps - are these things worth it? I never even heard of something like this. I was lucky my LHBS had more than one colour of cap.

As for the All Grain beer for the next round what program do most people like? Seems Beersmith is popular but I am running a mac. Is there an alternative?

Anyway just like to say I've found a number of topics on sanitation and bottling incredibly helpful and THANK YOU.

All grain? Did someone say all grain?
Hello out there in Edmonton. I found the best way to start with all grain is select which beer you want to brew, search for a recipe, gather your ingredients and you're off to the races. Worry less about the science of it and more about the right ingredients and simple equipment and sanitation.
Speaking of gathering ingredients there may be a way I can help.
Come check out http://www.hopdawgs.ca.
Regards,
Chris

I actually did say all grain originally but after reading a bit more about what's involved I think I am going to start with an unhopped extract for the next batch and work my way towards all grain. The space and time requirements for all grain look to be an issue for me just now.

It is good to see a Canadian vendor for brewing supplies! Good luck with it and I'll certainly be checking it out when I'm ready to brew again.

Back