Hello for Michigan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nails111

Reaction score
Hello all. I am completely new to home brewing. In fact, I haven’t even brewed my first batch, yet. I have decided to jump head first into the deep end by going the all-grain route. I obviously have a lot to learn an am looking forward to the challenge. I am still in the process of getting all of the needed equipment, and plan on starting early this spring. In the meantime, I am trying to learn all I can before I start. I find home brewing absolutely fascinating and can’t wait to start this adventure.

Hello from the UP! I did 2-3 extract and jumped into all grain quickly after so I respect the bravery to jump in head first ;)

Great to see some other Michiganders on here. Thanks for the warm welcome. I’m from SE Michigan, also...the Down River area.

Welcome aboard. I’m from Grand Rapids area myself. There is plenty of good people and advice to learn from on this board. I am thrilled to see your enthusiasm about all grain right out of the chute.

Welcome ! From SE Michigan! My 2 cents in a very friendly manner....it takes most folks at least several extract brewing batches to get technique down pat, to truly understand the basics of brewing. It's like anything else..experience! Yes , there are a plethora of written and video articles to watch to help you along the way. But hands on vs reading or watching is quite different. But I do wish you good luck and happy brewing! Tons and tons of help on this forum. Welcome and cheers 🍻

Welcome from SE MI! Starting AG in spring isn't too lofty a goal imo, but @seanjwalker1 makes some great points. I would recommend doing a few extract batches first. Stove-top pots with DME/LME is typically how we all start. It can be confusing to jump straight into AG if you don't have a fellow brewer around on brew days. Otherwise, absorb all the info, yt videos, and ask questions! We're here to help. Cheers!

First brew ever is now in the history books! I must say, this turned out better than I thought it would. There is room for improvement, for sure. But overall, I was very impressed on how good it turned out.

I figure I would share this on my original thread. Here’s a picture of it. It is an Irish Red Ale. Can’t wait for my next brew! Cheers!
20CF7213-833A-42E0-B120-F4132C81329F.png

First brew ever is now in the history books! I must say, this turned out better than I thought it would. There is room for improvement, for sure. But overall, I was very impressed on how good it turned out.

I figure I would share this on my original thread. Here’s a picture of it. It is an Irish Red Ale. Can’t wait for my next brew! Cheers!
Hey Welcome! Congrats on the first brew success.

I figure I would share this on my original thread. Here’s a picture of it. It is an Irish Red Ale. Can’t wait for my next brew! Cheers!View attachment 725657
It looks good. Welcome Wolverine!

Damn nice looking beer. I also like the glass, just took delivery of a case of those last week

The beer will get better yet with time, it is still young. Now you are at the part where it gets expensive. You have success, so you can justify upgrades to yourself.:D It is great fun though...

Damn nice looking beer. I also like the glass, just took delivery of a case of those last week

The beer will get better yet with time, it is still young. Now you are at the part where it gets expensive. You have success, so you can justify upgrades to yourself.:D It is great fun though...
Yep...a 17 year old money pit that never is satisfied!!!

Yes, I am already experiencing this. The hard part is convincing my wife I need new things. But, I have a few time tested tricks up my sleeve. Lol
Wives know. There are no tricks to pull! They always know!!! Just get a piece at a time. Not all of us have 6 figure bank accounts. Don't over extend just because you want that next shiny new brewing piece. Pace yourself. If I see something I want, I save for a few months especially if it's a big ticket item. I do the same with my astronomy gear. It will come together.

Latest posts

Back