Hello everyone, new guy here

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jm9301

Reaction score
Hey, i had the idea of brewing my own beer for a while, and finally have begun, i did some research, read the book that came with my kit (would not really suggest it for a begginer) and finaly started my brew last night. And after looking on this site, see alot of things i should have done differently, I made it with a can of hopped extract, but i used dextrose instead of dried malt extract, also i didnt prepare my yeast, simply followed the instructions. i guess live and learn eh?

Anyways i have learned alot from this site already, and it looks like a helpfull place to ask questions. So i look forward to working my way up the homebrew ladder! And lets hope this Muntons kit turns out drinkable! lol

I just checked on it, and the airlock fires off 1 bubble every 6 seconds or so, after 24 hours roughly in there that should be about normal correct?

Welcome to a virgin brewer, and a virgin poster here! You'll enjoy the camaraderie here, and a ton of knowledge from the real brewers.

There's quite a few Canucks here, so you'll feel right at home.:mug:

Congratulations on your first brew and Welcome!
No matter what you think you did, the first is always special and it will still be good. You are correct that it probably could have been better if you had used malt but so what, you made beer!
Hydrating yeast is a good thing but it can be sprinkled on dry with no problems.
The hardest part is leaving it along for a few weeks.
The airlock bubbling is not a good indication of completion. Give it a couple weeks and use an hydrometer to know if it's finished.

Welcome! I started the same way -- with canned hopped extract + dextrose kits. They turned out just fine. As Nurmey says, it gets better when you ditch the dextrose for additional extract & specialty grains. No worries though, you'll get there.

Welcome to the forum! Just as an FYI, airlock activity isn't a very accurate measure of fermentation 'done-ness'. A hydrometer and time is a better means of seeing when it's done.

Welcome aboard! Your beer will turn out great, especially if you remember the first rule of brewing: Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew. :mug:

thanks for the support! I know it doesnt mean it is completed or anything to taht effect, i just was excited about the airlock bubbling lol.

thanks for the support! I know it doesnt mean it is completed or anything to taht effect, i just was excited about the airlock bubbling lol.

Out of all the folks in the world, we understand about getting excited over airlock activity. Sniffing the airlock is pretty normal around here too. :D

Latest posts

Back