Hello and help?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Texasbrewr

Reaction score
Hey guys just want to give a shout to for all those in the state of Texas. A little about me I was a biochem major in college and ended up as a banker. So to get my mad scientist fix I started homebrew amongst many many more hobbies. Ok we'll I have kicked off and thee the Hail Mary pass. Here is my first attempt all grain.

13lbs uk 2 row
3 lbs cara 60 crystal
.25 black malt for color last 10 min.
Average temp 154 60 min

Safe ale 04

Fugues .5 oz 60, 40 20 5 pellet active boil no temp recorded

One pellet Irish moss last ten min

Fermented in better bottle 6 gal ~14 days.

Initial gravity 1.08 fg 1.28. Color is red brown but very sweetish. Just Keged it up with 5oz sugar in a keg com ball lock.

My questions are how'd i do? You can't really taste the carbonation beer is just sweet is this right? I was aiming at a Baltic porter but it's a little light looked way darker when brewing
So my questio is I never saw activity on this one I pitched the first day and then freaked and re pitched the third day. Still nothing but a lot of sediment at the bottom. Nice inch of heists looking light brown green diarea. Also nothing really on the top crept for a few hops particles around the edge.

Well if you are carbonating the keg with priming sugar it will take at least a week or two at room temperatures to carbonate. Also I haven't done this method but from what I've read when priming a keg it is not necessary to use the 1oz/1gal ratio you would if you were bottling. Something to do with a single headspace as opposed to the headspace in 40-50 bottles. So if it's only been a few days your beer will taste sweet from the priming sugar until the yeast consume it and make co2. Also again if priming you want the keg at warm temps like if using regular bottles.

Sent from somewhere to someone

hmmm. 1.028 is a very high fg. How much yeast did you pitch? What temp did you ferment at? I would bet it didn't finish entirely. The recipe itself is a different matter. Check out the recipe section here to get a good idea of how to brew specific styles. At this point I would be tempted to install an airlock on the keg and bring its temp up to about 70. The priming sugar you added should start to ferment and it just may keep going down to a better fg. Another packet of yeast may be in order.

Back