HELLLP!!! Is my beer ruined????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clarke

Reaction score
Do you think I can save it....:)

I went to sample my beer last night for a BBQ party tomorrow, it needed more carbonation, so I upped the gas, forgot to disconnect the tap line and 30 minutes late the tap line blew off. This is my first kegging experience so I chalk it up to a learning curve but no beer tomorrow. Bummer...

b3.png

b2.png

b1.png

What pressure did you set it at to be strong enough to blow off a picnic tap?

Sorry to see your mess. Bad luck

I was gonna ask the same thing! Thats crazy!

Better luck next time! At least you have a good attitude about it :):mug:

What pressure did you set it at to be strong enough to blow off a picnic tap?

Sorry to see your mess. Bad luck

40psi, 30 wasn't doing it fast enough...

The brew shop owner told me to keep it at 30 for 3 days then down it to 10, I met passedpawn at the same brew shop and he told me to keep it at 10 for a week. I only had 3 days, so 40 seemed logical, now I know, 40 is too high, and flat beer is better than no beer. it was a strawberry "cream" ale and it was really good flat, I should have just left it.

The brew shop owner told me to keep it at 30 for 3 days then down it to 10, I met passedpawn at the same brew shop and he told me to keep it at 10 for a week. I only had 3 days, so 40 seemed logical, now I know, 40 is too high, and flat beer is better than no beer. it was a strawberry "cream" ale and it was really good flat, I should have just left it.

30 for 3 days is way too long IMO. I usually do 30 for no more than 24hrs if I need to force carb. But I usually do ~15 for 4-5 and its fine.

With that being said... Its never too late to Zamboni that stuff up! Grab a straw :D :mug:

I think this is the first time I read a "is my beer ruined" thread where yes, the beer is ruined. Once it is all over the floor in liquid form, there is no going back. If there is some left in the keg I would think it will be fine.
Next time try the shake method for force carbing. I put it up to 40 and rolled a half barrel around the mud room for a minute or so and the carb level turned out perfect a couple days later after the keg was chilled.

Props to my wife, she is an amazing lady, that first picture is her hand over the bucket sopping up the lost brew, she pretty much cleaned up the whole thing for me.

I would say the beer on the floor is ruined. However, the beer still in the keg should be just fine. After much trial and error, I set a new keg to 30 psi for 48 hours then purge it and reduce to serving pressure for 24 hours before drinking. Seems to work perfect although it really hits carbonation perfection after about a week total.

Bummer! I almost had the same thing happen, but caught it. Forgot to detach the picnic tap, which is just a spring loaded stopper and noticed beer oozing out the end after setting it to 30 PSI; Not sure why I had it on there to begin with, but quickly popped the disconnect.

Ouch. I opened the thread with a "no, rdwhahb" all primed and ready but yes, that beer is ruined.

I had a similar experience this summer. The fridge door had bumped the tap line and it was just enough for it to slowly leak out over night. It was so depressing seeing my beer all over the garage floor.

Back