Hefeweizen Recipe + Danstar Munich - When to bottle / keg?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snotpoodle

Reaction score
Hi,

Have a 25L batch of Hefeweizen in the fermenter, OF 1.050, FG, 1010 atm, fermentation stopped a few days ago, so its really just sitting in primary (currently 10 days from brew day).

I pitched Munich yeast, fermentation was insane, and done in 3 days, it was spitting out yeast that was clogging the airlock, had to clean it out several times with vodka.

Question is:

How much longer should i leave it on the yeast cake, or can i just bottle it up tonight? (i kept some wort for carbing, don't worry, I won't be adding sugar ye germans).

i fermented low at 14C (57F) for all but the last two days, and let it come up to 17C (62) naturally, where it is now.

Can i bottle this bad boy, or will it benefit from more time on the yeast?

(Was a 50/50 pilsner + wheat grain bill)

Bottle it up now. Hefe's taste better younger, and bottling now will capture more of the suspended yeast which will be beneficial to your brews come pouring time. I typically aim for 10 days from pitching the yeast to sealing up the last bottle.

If active fermentation ceased 7 days ago, and it's a wheat-beer (which is permitted to be cloudy,) there's no reason you can't keg/bottle today.

What's the rush? Let the yeast do their job. Even though you don't see activity they are still 'cleaning' up after themselves. Minimum 2 weeks in fermenter before bottling.

Cleaning up after what? Remember its a hefeweizen, I want the yeast phenols and esters, i want the cloudiness, i want raw yeast and wheat flavours.

I'm bottling, but thanks for your point of view.

Back