Hefeweizen grain bill Ideas.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dvdfnzwbr

Reaction score
Looking for incite in the ratio of malt to wheat in the grain bill for a hefeweizen. (Wikipedia states at least a 50/50 percentage.) That sounds a bit wheaty to my taste. Also looking for the total amount of grain for a 5 gallon brew.

Any comments for White Labs, WLP300 Hefeweizen/ Ale yeast. Anyone try Wyeast or other brands with better results?

Hefeweizen should be at least 50% wheat malt. Some do 60%. There is nothing really wrong with going less if you want less wheat character though. You will come in close to ~10lbs of grain total for a 5 gallon batch with an OG of ~1.050 assuming 70% efficiency.

Never used 300, but I like both Wyeast strains (3056 and 3068).

If you want to make a damn good german hefeweizen, do 60ish% wheat, 20% munich malt, 10% vienna, and 10% pilsner. Use hallertau/tettanger hops (which ever one you like more) and wlp 300 and ferment around 65 degrees or lower. Your total grain bill will be around 10-11 pounds of grain. I love wlp 300 and I would definately use it. As far as the hops, I would do a FWH as it adds a little complexity to the beer.

My house Hefe is 60% wheat, 40% barley. I like a little malty character, so a pound to a pound and a half of the barley is Munich Light. Mash at 152*F.

Hallertau hops @ 60m and Wyeast 3068. I ferment it on the cool side, about 62-64*F. There are good clove and banana notes, but they don't rule the brew.

Good stuff, my current keg is running low, but I have another 8 gallons that will go into the keg next weekend.

:ban:

Mine is 55% wheat, 45% pilsner malt, 90 min boil, hallertau single addition at 60-to-go, 300 or 3068 at 62-64F until done (2 weeks), cold-crash, keg, serve at about 2.8-3.2 volumes of CO2. 10# sounds right for 5 gallons (total grain bill).

I've done decoctions, but most often I just keep it simple now for the hefe.

my usual hefe is 6 lb white wheat, 5 lb pils, 2 lb 6 row, 90 min mash at 153°, 1oz hallertau at 60min, 1oz saaz at flame-out, 3068 at 64° for 10 days, then keg.

I've been doing a decoction to reach mashout recently. Its pretty easy, doesn't require a huge decoction and kind of gives it that little extra kick (at least thats what I've been telling myself. I'm sure the same thing could be acquired with a little Munich like others mentioned.

I like fermenting in the 16-18C range too.

I often go with up to 70% wheat. Wheat is good stuff. Don't hate. :p

My current grain bill:

6 lbs White Wheat Malt
3 lbs German Pilsner Malt
2 ounces Aromatic Malt

Brewing this tonight. No decoction tonight...I'm going lazy.

I often go with up to 70% wheat. Wheat is good stuff. Don't hate. :p

My current grain bill:

6 lbs White Wheat Malt
3 lbs German Pilsner Malt
2 ounces Aromatic Malt

Brewing this tonight. No decoction tonight...I'm going lazy.

damn dude, i swear your always brewing. how many carboys can you ferment under temperature control

8, at the moment, and the basment stays rather cool. I can lager two and the ale cabinet fits 6. We're picking up another chest freezer this weekend, tho, hopefully.

I'd really like to start using my sanke kegs for fermenting again, too. And my conical is full of wheat for burning off, once that is empty, that's another 18 gallons.

Total fermenter capacity ATM: ~120 gallons give or take a few carboys and not counting the 50 gallon fermenter I have reserved for a future brew session at my friends house :D

I've only got about 30 of that rolling right now, but I'm stepping it up a notch ;)

Thats a lot of fermentation, you can almost do your yearly allowance all at once. Fun!

I go 65% wheat, 35% 2-row. No reason to malt it up for me! ;)

Were you looking for german hefe or American? I prefer the american yeast with german hops myself. Not a big fan of the clove/bananna flavors that 3068 and some of the others give. FYI, If you use 3068 be prepared for a big blow off. It will almost certainly give you one.

Oh, and to the OP...WLP300 is my favorite for hefeweizen. It gives a nice banana and clove flavor when fermented in the low 60s. I use WLP380 for my dunkelweizens. The wyeast strains are good, too, but I don't really use them much.

8, at the moment, and the basment stays rather cool. I can lager two and the ale cabinet fits 6. We're picking up another chest freezer this weekend, tho, hopefully.

I'd really like to start using my sanke kegs for fermenting again, too. And my conical is full of wheat for burning off, once that is empty, that's another 18 gallons.

Total fermenter capacity ATM: ~120 gallons give or take a few carboys and not counting the 50 gallon fermenter I have reserved for a future brew session at my friends house :D

I've only got about 30 of that rolling right now, but I'm stepping it up a notch ;)

jeez, that rapes my ghetto fridge that can only fit 2 carboys :(

Were you looking for german hefe or American? I prefer the american yeast with german hops myself. Not a big fan of the clove/bananna flavors that 3068 and some of the others give. FYI, If you use 3068 be prepared for a big blow off. It will almost certainly give you one.

Fermcap fixes that.

:rockin:

50% wheat is the minimum for german wheat beers 70% is not uncommon.

Latest posts

Back