Hefeweizen Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnelson1025

Reaction score
Hey everybody, I did a partial mash version of this recipe and fermentation is pretty slow. I used:

3.75 lb Wheat Malt
1.50 lb Pilsner Malt
1.00 lb Vienna Malt

2.75 lb Wheat DME

WLP380 - Hefeweizen IV

I was aiming for an OG of 1.052 - I hit 1.050

Here's a picture of the fermentation. The krausen seems much smaller than what I'm used to. Every beer I've done so far has been 4 - 5 times that size. It also doesn't seem to be fermenting very vigorously, contrary to what everyone is saying in the thread I linked to above.

20120522_191522.jpg

My mash temperature started at about 168°F - I'm thinking that could be the problem, but the wort from the partial mash was pretty sweet tasting. The temperature from the strip thermometer is reading 64°F - I don't think low enough for the yeast to get sluggish.

I'm kinda worried because I don't want to rush my Belgian Tripel I just brewed, and I'm running out of homebrew! :eek: This one's supposed to stock me up again.

Thanks for any comments!

Yeah, it looked like it worked; there were a lot more yeast in the starter than what came in the White Labs vial

How many days in are you? I don't have any experience with WLP380 (my hefe in primary right now is 3068), but I have noticed that my fermentation with other strains can start much slower below 64 or so, even with a starter at high krausen. In almost every case, raising it to 66-68 has gotten things going significantly faster.

However, your fermentation doesn't look that bad, so if I weren't in a hurry, I might let it go as is unless it stalls well before the targeted FG.

Ok, I checked the gravity reading today (the krausen has dropped), came in at 1.016 - estimated at 1.010. A little high, but I guess OK. The temperature is up to 70 now, but I'm tasting and smelling banana. Doesn't make sense to me if this yeast is supposed to give citrus notes. I've been as low as 64, and 70 has been the highest.

I'm gonna pour the limeade and lemonade in, see what happens. Oh well, maybe my first failed beer.

The high FG is likely from your high mash temp, but it will probably still taste great. You may get a few more points out of it yet, but don't worry if not. And don't judge the banana/citrus mix for another few weeks. Flavors change a lot over the first couple weeks. I still think this will turn out great! Keep us posted!

I brewed my last Bavarian Hefe with 380 as well and saved the yeast for future use. It turned out well and I fermented at around 69-70 for 2 weeks and then botled. This was a 10 gal batch in a 15 gal fermenter. The banana does fade and you should have a clove taste with a banana after taste while drinking it. I generaly ferment wheat beers for 2 weeks or less and then bottle or keg and can drink after 2 weeks bottle conditioning.

beerloaf

Just bottled yesterday - the FG dropped to 1.012, and the banana is definitely gone. It tasted pretty good. I think this one is gonna turn out fine. Thanks for the help!

Back