Hefeweizen and flatulence

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wicked Daddy

Reaction score
I recently introduced my wife to hefeweizen. She loves it. There is just one problem. She believes it is the cause of serious intestinal gas, to the point of being painful. I have not brewed any (yet) so these have been store bought and we've tried a few. They all seem to do the same thing.

Is this normal?

Yeah, I believe it has to do with the amount of yeast still hangin' around. It doesn't happen to me unless I drink a lot of them. Never to the point where it's painful though but I have a very forgiving stomach.

Are you used to drinking BMC (bud/miller/coors etc....)? If so, the flatulence may be from consuming yeast and other products contained in bigger beers styles than american light lagers. In addition, most weiß beers are unfiltered and use a low flocculating yeast, so more yeast is in suspension.

Homebrews and craft brews will both give you incredible stomach fireworks the day after, but it is healthy for you. I suppose it could be dangerous if you were dating, but what the hell am I married for anyway :D

EDIT: you should tell her there is an easy way to alleviate her pain... <insert hilarious fart noise here> lol

Yep that's pretty normal. If I drink more than a few of them, the gas is pretty bad and can clear out a room. I never had bad cramping but I'm usually banned to the basement for a day or so until I get cleared out.

:)

a number 7 rubber stopper should help with the flatulence, just remember to sanitize it before using it for brewing again.

Yeah, it's the yeast. But don't forget to tell her that yeast has some B complex or B12 in it or something like that. Also, if she keeps at it (drinking real beer/homebrew) her body will become conditioned at processing the yeast and the symptoms should subside.

If not...well, I guess you guys could do the Lucy and Desi thing and have separate beds. :cross: I mean, c'mon. Because giving up drinking quality beer isn't an option.

It never seems to bother me. Then again, my system is used to consuming a myriad of live microflora...which could make the difference...but that's just a shot in the dark.

my parents stayed with us this past weekend, and my dad and i consumed more than our fair share of homebrews (including a hefe). all i can say is, g-damn this house was stinkin!!!!!!

Thanks for the replies. Wifey stopped drinking hef to allow herself to "air out" and determine the cause. We'll give it another try and see what happens. She may have to decide between taste and smell...

I'm cool either way.

I recently introduced my wife to hefeweizen. She loves it. There is just one problem. She believes it is the cause of serious intestinal gas

When I was stationed in the FRG we would do our PT (exercises) early in the morning. You never wanted to be running in formation behind someone that had been hitting the hefe the night before. "weizenfarts", they were called.

They'll subside...

Interesting enough, women don't fart....because they never shut up long enough to build up any pressure...;) j/k :D

Kidding my rear-endski....Except for Brew Goddesses. I hold them to a totally different standard of womanness.
Soemhow I just cant' bring myself to hear Red...and Nurmey...and Yooper...and the others nagging their way through a 5 hour brew session. I just refuse to believe it.

Not going to.

They are the brew goddesses.

Nope!

Back