Hefeweizen - 6 weeks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HasstheBoss

Reaction score
I'm a noob, and I just brewed my first Honey Hefeweizen (northern brewer Extract kit)

I'm curious because the recipe recommends 6 weeks until drinkable versus the typical 4 weeks I have encountered with the other extract ale kits I have made.

I have just transferred to the secondary ferm at the two week point, so is it right to assume I should have it in the secondary for two more weeks mandatory, and then bottle it?

Is the hydrometer really the only true confirmation? I understand why, but I also feel that a "better safe than sorry" mentality isn't a bad approach because the brew to bottle process isn't rushed.

A lot of sediment had settled out, but it's still very cloudy. Should I expect to to even clear up that much more since it's a hefe?

Any tips/knowledge/advice?

thanks in advance.

-Eric

Most of my bottle conditioned brews took 7 weeks - 4 weeks in the fermenter (usually primary only) and 3 weeks in the bottle. 4 weeks total is a little short if you ask me, but 6 weeks is a good timeframe. The schedule you propose should work fine, in my opinion.

It should indeed stay rather cloudy since it is a hefe. That's the style.

And, yes, the hydrometer is the only true confirmation as to when it is safe to bottle. Fermentation can get stuck and, no matter how long you let it sit, it won't start again until you transfer it, give it more sugar, agitate the yeast, whatever. Bottling beer in that state can easily result in bottle bombs.

My last hefe was ready to bottle in 10 days. They're good young. Because you have honey in there, however, it could take a bit longer.

There's not much point in putting hefe in a secondary, as it's going to be cloudy anyhow. You can safely eliminate that step in the future.

If I were you, I'd take successive readings to be sure you've reached FG and bottle it up.

Latest posts

Back