Hefe yeast for a Blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SevenFields

Reaction score
I am thinking about making BM Blonde Ale and pitching it on a Hefe yeast cake. Anyone ever do this before, how do you think it would turn out???

I've only made about 10 all-grain brews so far but I'm all for experimentation. My last beer I mixed some german yeast 1007 with a some hefe yeast from the bottle. It is still in primary. I say screw the BJCP guidelines if I make the best beer in the world and it doesn't meet the criteria for any style I'm perfectly happy with that. Experimenting in brewing is what's great about this hobby. Beer has been brewed for milennia and there were no BJCP guidelines back in the day. Thinking outside the box is what it's all about. Having said that, I'm sure your beer will turn out awesome if you follow good practices. You will probably get a quaffer beer with a lot of yeast in suspension as hefe strains tend to stay in suspension for long periods. Cheers.

Well I went ahead and did this last night so we will see.
This was my first time pitching onto a yeast cake. This morning my airlock was going crazy. Hopefully all will turn out well and I will be doing this more often.
Not sure why I havent tried it before!

Tossing BMs blonde recipe onto a Bavarian cake, care to share how your turned out sevenfields?

Back