hefe weisen question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SAS98M

Reaction score
I'm in the process of finishing off a case of Magic Hat-circus boy hefeweisen(brewed in Burlington Vt.) and have fallen for this beer.... I'd like to clone this one -Is anybody familiar with this one ? It's a great flavored beer- really hoppy at the finish. I think this can be done fairly easily but haven't done a hefe yet-this would be the first,I did my 1st AG. last week it's a pale ale that's turned out very well I think,I think I can handle this one.... I checked the recipe section and they didn't appeal.... Any related info. would be appreciated. Thanks in advance. Shane

I just finished off my last one a few minutes ago (drinking my last HIPA right now). I picked up their Mardi Gras 12 pack which had 3 Circus Boys, 3 #9's, 3 HIPA's, and 3 60 Winks. I loved the #9 and HIPA most, but did enjoy the Circus Boy as well. I cant find a recipe, but the website states Wheat and Pale malt, Amarillo and German Magnum Hops with Hefeweizen yeast. I'll keep looking for a recipe.

Thanks Tony, Can't recall where I saw (box or bottle ? ) it stated but they claim to use "a secret recipe".
They do, on their web site list the ingredients-possibly not the entire bill,nor do they publish the quantities thereof. Keep me posted Tony-thanks again.
Anybody else ?? Anybody have something close ? Shane

here's a great recipe i thought of for a hefe i did a while back...but i'm all extracts since i just started to brew recently.

0.50 lbs Crystal Malt
6.00 lbs Wheat Dry Extract
0.85 oz Czech Saaz
0.30oz Czech Saaz (50 min into boil)
White Labs American Hefe Yeast (WLP300)

with a gravity of about 1.053 to start, and 1.013 to finish.
ferment at lower temps (68*F-70*F) for more banana
ferment at higher temps (72*F-74*F) for more clove

and your place will smell like banana bread for a week!

Well, I have never had the pleasure of having that beer, but what I have heard is that it is a hoppy hefe unlike the german weiss beers. I think they use cascade hops throughout and use an american wheat yeast like 1010. Maybe a 50/50 combo of 2-row and wheat malt and just a tad of crystal 10?
Do you know the ABV or OG of it or the IBU's?

Maybe something like this:
5lbs Wheat Malt
5lbs American 2-row
0.5lb C-10

1oz cascade 60,30,20,10 and flameout.
Wyeast 1010

Hey AZMTN,I'm enjoyen'one of these right now- just rechecked Majic Hat's web site they list this as OG. 1.055,ABV 5.4,Bitterness 18. They use a Hefe ale yeast-but don't specify which, they use Amarillo and German magnum hops but don't elaborate as to how much and at what stages they are added,they use wheat and pale malts-also no listing as to quantity.
I realize they brew in large batches so that could be the reason for lack of specs.,could also be a proprietary brew and recipes are off limits....
I'd really like to clone this but don't know how much experimentation I want to chance--I pretty much wanna know a batch is gonna work before I start-can't blame a fella here. What do You think ?? Let me know. Shane

Also with these ingredients now here : Does anybody have any insights as to amounts of grains and hop amounts and addition times ??

I would go with

6lbs 2-row
6lbs Wheat malt

Magnum to bitter and amarillo at the 10 or 15 mark and just enough to get you around 18-20IBUs

Wyeast 1010 yeast

Depending on your efficiency you can add or drop some of the malt. I figure at 70% that should get you around 1.055.

Thanks AZM, I gotta start studying the hop selection-Re: bittering,flavoring etc... and all that good stuff .
Where does one find the info pertaining to proper hop selection for a given beer type,when and how much to add ??
I'm goin'to the home brew store this weekend with a list in hand. Shane

heylookasensei said:
here's a great recipe i thought of for a hefe i did a while back...but i'm all extracts since i just started to brew recently.

0.50 lbs Crystal Malt
6.00 lbs Wheat Dry Extract
0.85 oz Czech Saaz
0.30oz Czech Saaz (50 min into boil)
White Labs American Hefe Yeast (WLP300)

with a gravity of about 1.053 to start, and 1.013 to finish.
ferment at lower temps (68*F-70*F) for more banana
ferment at higher temps (72*F-74*F) for more clove

and your place will smell like banana bread for a week!
That's funny...you're using a Czech hop and an American yeast and calling it German (hefe)...:drunk:

Re-check your notes on fermenting temps. In general, warmer temps equate to more banana not clove.

My hefe is bubbling like crazy and my hole brew room smells like a banana. I LOVE IT!!! Can't wait to drink that sucker. Fermenting at 73F

... sorry for the hijack.

homebrewer_99 said:
That's funny...you're using a Czech hop and an American yeast and calling it German (hefe)...:drunk:

Re-check your notes on fermenting temps. In general, warmer temps equate to more banana not clove.

yeah i know. a little confusion with the nationality. but it turned out GREAT, thats for sure.

Back