Hefe w/ Apricot flavor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewawan

Reaction score
I'm new to brewing (4th batch) and taking on my easiest brew. Just a simple German Hefeweizen (Partial-Boil, 5g). I wanted to add apricot flavoring to it during bottling. How do people think about that? I think it will add a nice, citrusy taste to it. My question is can I add some of the flavoring to the secondary to accentuate the taste? Another question is should I try doing a full-boil.:confused: I have DME which I've never used before. My previous batches have only been PB, LME.

Actually since you mention Apricot, there is a strain that has an Apricot flavor to it. I have used it and can say it is there. As for the flavoring, I don't use them really, unless it is actual fruit or juice. You could try to add something like Apricot nectar to the secondary ferment. Thing is it will probably take a while to condition it and since Wheat beers tend to be best fresh it is kind of a moot point imo.

Try this:
http://www.austinhomebrew.com/product_info.php?products_id=480

I think you would want to add this at bottling.

DME is great, some would argue better than LME. Boil whatever you do normally, 2.5 gallons.

Also, read some of the threads on late boil extract additions. Basically you can add most/all your DME in the last 5-10 minutes of the boil. This will keep color light.

Also, I might suggest a cleaner fermenting wheat yeast. If you get one of the bavarian hefe stains there will be really strong fruit flavors, don't want that to compete or kill the apricot.

Sounds good!

How about fresh, tree-ripened apricots. Cali has great apricots right? In about a month they're ready right? I can't wait for them to be ready here, mainly for eating but I'll definitely brew something with some fresh ones.

I have had the best luck adding apricot extract (or any extract for that matter) into the primary fermentation a few days in, just after fermentation of the malt sugars has subsided. That way, the yeast go to work on the sugars in the fruit and you are left with great apricot flavor without a ton of residual sweetness.

So how do I add fresh fruit with beer? Yes the apricots are very good right now. I had one for lunch today and they're coming into their own now. But how do make sure fruit doesn't contaminate the wort? Can you actually sanitize fruit, or do you do your best to clean them w/ water? For a rook like me, should I just use the apricot flavoring (4oz) that I bought at B3?:confused:

i used apricot extract in a magic hat #9 clone, never again, it just had a weird taste, only fresh/frozen fruit.

As for adding your apricots, I would wash them well ( to remove pesticides), chop them up very well, put in a freezer bag and freeze overnight, then put in a pot and cook at 160*F for 20 minutes, then cool, dump into the primary just as fermentation is subsiding.

zoebisch01 said:
Actually since you mention Apricot, there is a strain that has an Apricot flavor to it. I have used it and can say it is there. As for the flavoring, I don't use them really, unless it is actual fruit or juice. You could try to add something like Apricot nectar to the secondary ferment. Thing is it will probably take a while to condition it and since Wheat beers tend to be best fresh it is kind of a moot point imo.

that sounds like one killer yeast, what would it be from WYeast? About wheat beers tending to be best fresh try MY HAPPY BIRTHDAY HEFE!!! When you add honey it takes awhile to get better, but this one was AWESOME from right after the flame was out, from the primary, secondary AND at bottling, AND after close to one year in the bottles... actually it's better after a year. I have made this recepie 3 times, another time i put 5 LBS of fresh blueberries in the 2nd, that one was AWESOME! It would also be KILLER with apircots in it.

brewawan said:
So how do I add fresh fruit with beer? Yes the apricots are very good right now. I had one for lunch today and they're coming into their own now. But how do make sure fruit doesn't contaminate the wort? Can you actually sanitize fruit, or do you do your best to clean them w/ water? For a rook like me, should I just use the apricot flavoring (4oz) that I bought at B3?:confused:

I'm certainly no expert, especially with apricots - when they're ripe here I'll be making my first, but with fresh fruit you want to at least pasturize the fruit. You could boil it, or add it to the boil. Most maximize fruit flavor/aroma by adding it to the secondary( I do). I would tend to think cooking would hurt appricots flavor, but my wife's grandmother makes apricot turnovers by cooking the apricots - and they have a really wonderful fresh/real apricot flavor. I'll probably just wash them, freeze, thaw and add( I haven't had any problems with infections from unpastuerized fruit - just washed,frozen,and thawed). If the flavor is too light or tart, I may cook some down and add them. Hope that helps, for what its worth. I don't like flavorings btw, my tatses are my own though.

How much fruit do you guys use generally. In a 5 gal batch, what are we talking about? Maybe 2 lbs of apricots (or any other fruit)?

i made a blueberry hefe and used 5lbs. Wish i had used 15... how much do you like apricot? I would guess 2lbs would give a light flavor, i'd personaly go 5. If you are going fruity might as well make sure it tastes fruity! :mug: :)

brewawan said:
How much fruit do you guys use generally. In a 5 gal batch, what are we talking about? Maybe 2 lbs of apricots (or any other fruit)?

I generally use around 1 pound per gallon(often more). Apricots are apparently rather peachy tasting in beer. They supposedly make better peach beer than actual peaches. If you go light it may taste like peach, which may not be bad, but you might want to up the apricot level. Remember its easy to add more -difficult to subtract. Add some, wait a few days, and taste. Then add more if you think it needs it. 2lbs in 5 gals is in the light side, but could be enough/great.

Don;t boil fruit.

Heat it until it reaches ~160° and hold it there for about ten minutes. That'll pasteurize it, but the temp won't be so hot as to cause pectin haze.

I'm pretty sure I've purchased frozen apricot (maybe mango) from a Whole Foods store - very high quality. I'd look for that, first. The fruit being frozen first helps, as the cellular structure is weakened considerably (allowing more of the flavor to escape).

If you add fruit, add it to the secondary; if you boil it or put it in the primary, you'll lose the aromatics.

If you can find an apricot Oregon puree, those are considered to be pretty much the highest quality fruity product you can find, as well. Extracts are generally medicore at best - sometimes OK in very small quantities for aromatic properties only.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't the only problem with boiling the fruit that it would/could create pectin haze, and because its a hefe it won't matter if its hazy - in fact it actually should be hazy? I guess the haze is supposed to be from yeast, but.....?

the_bird said:
but you still wouldn't NEED to boil it, and I wouldn't add it to the kettle anyway.

I agree, it is an option though. Secondary is the way I always go now(so far anyway), you want the flavor and aroma. If you don't want a lot of it, just add a little.

If you were worried about the pectic haze, you could also add pectic enzyme to help eliminate that pectic haze.

Back