Hefe: To secondarty or not to secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rottnme

Reaction score
The title pretty much says it all, what is everyone out there doing and why?

Hefe is not my favorite styles but one that I amy trying to learn to appreciate. I am following Jamils recipe from Brewing Classic Styles using the 3068 yeast with his recommended low fermentation temp. I know that this style should have a yeast haze and I'm wondering what others are doing as far as to secondary or not.

Thanks!

Wheat beers, especially Hefes, are supposed are supposed to be cloudy. So, no need for a secondary. I too have been following Jamil's advice and fermenting at low temps for my wheat beers. Came out fine....

Like Hammy, I fail to see the point. Leave it in the primary for a week or so after the vigorous ferment is complete, then package.

Cheers,

Bob

Hefes should be drank when they are fresh. I have it at 64 for five days or two days after vigorous activity completes, then I shake or swirl the fermenter, ramp it up to 72 to increase the yeast's activity and let them clean up all of their byproducts for about 3 to 5 days. then I crash it down to 32 for 2 to 3 days. package and serve ASAP.

Back