Hefe sitting in fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suddy

Reaction score
I have a hefe that has been in the carboy for 5 months now. I just kind of forgot it was there (thanks to a long pipeline).

Is this still going to be a good brew? I have heard that they should be drank young....

I think it depends on the amount of hops in the carboy. They tend to give of a vegetation flavor after a few months. Sure they are best young, but it's gonna taste good older too. Might not be the best hefe you ever had but I say go for it! Should be fine

It may very well be. The only way to tell would be to take a sample from the carboy and smell/taste for off flavors. It would be VERY noticable (rotten eggs, burnt rubber, etc). If it tastes ok from the sample move forward. If not write it off and save yourself the time and bottles.

It's probably okay, a little less fruity maybe. I'd take a taste and if there isn't anything weird, rack it and bottle. Since it's been sitting, you'll probably want to siphon a bit of the yeast as well.

Back