Hefe question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewScout

Reaction score
When the white labs website describes WLP380 as " Less flocculant that WLP300, and sulphur production is higher", does that mean that hefe's tend to produce some sulphur. I ask because my batch using WLP380 is at high krausen now and starting to produce a very very small amount of sulphur. My last batch (a wit) produced so much that after 1.5 months in primary and 3 Weeks in bottles, is just now sulphur-less. I'm petrified this is gonna happen again. I understand that hefe's are best when young and would hate to have to age this beyond its prime because of sulphur.

all yeast strands produce sulphur. The trick is to have a vigorous fermentation that pushes the sulfer out of the solution. I would ferment on the hot side (70-74F) and enjoy all those delicious banana esters!

lestershy said:
all yeast strands produce sulphur. The trick is to have a vigorous fermentation that pushes the sulfer out of the solution. I would ferment on the hot side (70-74F) and enjoy all those delicious banana esters!

Fermentation started about 32 hour ago with 1 burp from the blowoff tube every 4 seconds or so. Now it is a constant stream of co2. Should I still have enough activity to push any sulphur out. Also what stage is the yeast in when the sulphur its produced and why?

sounds like an active fermentation to me. usually it is more of a concern for lagers since the colder fermentation temps cause less active fermentations. As far as when and why the yeast causes sulphur, I don't recall immediately. The book Yeast; A practical guide to beer fermentation is a good read.

lestershy said:
sounds like an active fermentation to me. usually it is more of a concern for lagers since the colder fermentation temps cause less active fermentations. As far as when and why the yeast causes sulphur, I don't recall immediately. The book Yeast; A practical guide to beer fermentation is a good read.

I'll have to read that as soon a I'm done with the complete joy of homebrewing. And after another trip to sniff the blowoff bucket, I can smell sulphur and what almost smells like bananas so I guess I'm doing something right. Fermentation had been between 68* and 69* for the entire length. Now I think I will let it rise a few degrees.

Back