Hefe on nitro?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kricks111

Reaction score
Has anyone tried to put a hefe on nitro? I do enjoy a good hefe, but I really like my hefes to be thick, creamy, and as much banana aroma as possible. Thoughts?

Sounds yummy to me. I also prefer a noticeable banana. Maybe a small dash of oats or carapils and nitro carb'ed?

What's your method for enhancing the banana notes?

I'm going to do a ferulic acid rest for 20 min at 110 degrees, keep my mash pH around 5.5 (I read a German brewers article that said it makes for a better hefe), use 1 smack pack of yeast without a starter so hopefully that will underpitch the yeast a bit, and ferment at 75 degrees, which is the high end of the optimal range for for that strain. That should up the banana. Im adding some flaked barley to the grain bill as well to up the body.

I'm going to do a ferulic acid rest for 20 min at 110 degrees, keep my mash pH around 5.5 (I read a German brewers article that said it makes for a better hefe), use 1 smack pack of yeast without a starter so hopefully that will underpitch the yeast a bit, and ferment at 75 degrees, which is the high end of the optimal range for for that strain. That should up the banana. Im adding some flaked barley to the grain bill as well to up the body.

Solid approach

[...]ferulic acid rest [...] That should up the banana.

In case the ferulic acid rest is also a proposed part of the "upping the banana"-process, I should tell you that that is not the case.
The ferulic acid rest will result in upping the clove, not the banana.:ban:

Id say there is no need. If you feel you need nitro for a hefe you are not brewing it correctly.

In case the ferulic acid rest is also a proposed part of the "upping the banana"-process, I should tell you that that is not the case.

The ferulic acid rest will result in upping the clove, not the banana.:ban:

Your correct I was wrong. Nice catch!!!

I just double checked "malt" from the Brewers association.

75f will produce banana overload. I find that nitro kinda dulls flavor, so this might work, but just CO2 with a hefe that fermented at 75f would be ooof, just too much.

Flaked oats would add more body than barley, acidulated malt is something I add to my hefes to keep the pH in that range.

Oh man, thanks. I'll skip the ferulic acid rest. Should I do a protein rest and then a mash or just a mash at 152?

Latest posts

Back