Hefe....need some info...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrDuckbutter

Reaction score
Hello,
wanted to make a hefeweisen...first time...i am under the impression that in theory i could whip up a batch in less than 3 weeks (kegged) 7-10 days of ferment and 3-5 carbonating, since you technically do not have to wait for it to clear like other types of beers...

is this a correct way to think....obviously i always stand by the aging process with my brews, to give them more character...but i guess what i am asking is can't you fire off a batch of hefe in just a short time?
thanks

That is if you are force carbonating. If it's bottle conditioned, you'll still need two weeks to carbonate in the bottle.

Trying to get a batch done before Christmas?

The last Hefe I made was in the fermenting bucket for 4 days. Then straight into the keg for aging. I could have force carbed I guess at that point but it had an awful smell to it, so of course I tried it and it tasted worse than it smelled. I thought it was infected or something it was undrinkable. So I left it in the keg and 3 weeks later it now smells pretty good, havent tried it again yet.

I'm just saying yes you can do it quickly but there are aspects of flavor which I don't think you can hurry. Also don't refridgerate when your force carbing to do what your doing, just use a higher pressure. I would try 35psi for 24 hours shaking it every couple hours if possible.

The only Hefe I have done that "required" aging for several weeks was one that I let ferment in the mid-70s. That created a lot of fussels that took time to go away, or at list drift into the background.
Hefes are better young as long as your process is good and there aren't any things that the yeast need more time cleaning up.

My hefe's are generally ready to bottle within 10 days, you will need at least a couple of weeks in the bottle to carbonate. But it takes 3-4 weeks for a consistent carb level across the bottles I have found.

I've done it many times in the time frame you have outlined.

Go for it.

MMmmmmmmmm fresh Hefe for Christmas.

Where do you Live. I'll drink some.

Richard

Irish stout
German dunkel on tap

i really wanted to make a hefe/belgian wit hybrid (really just taking the 2 seperate recipes and taking some from each to make a mixed beer)

but my buddy sent my this recipe for a hefe that he likes to make...when i make brews i normally use more grains (partial mash) like in the 2-4 lbs. area..

75 lb Wheat, Flaked (not milled, just straight in the hop bag)
.25 lb Honey Malt (milled in hop bag)
2 bags liquid wheat malt extract (60 min) (our LHBS sells these as 3.3 lbs each)
1 oz Halletauer Hops (60 min)
tbsp Sweet orange peel and tsp crushed Coriander (15 min)
Belgian Wit Yeast

i really more more of a orange flavor, might add a touch of orange blossom honey and possibly some orange zest...
Also, i normally like to use dry yeast (it is cheaper and has always worked well for me)

Any ideas? likes? dislikes?
shoot me some info....
Thanks

looks like a nice wit just the way it is, assuming you're using only .75 lb of flaked wheat ;)

the spices look great...they'll be very subtle, complimenting the brew.

if you want more orange flavor, stick an orange in the glass (although that's not my preference).

there is no dry belgian wit yeast. go with WLP400 or another liquid wit strain.

can't you fire off a batch of hefe in just a short time?
thanks

sure.
it is possible.
Will you enjoy it? Maybe.

You could blast out an american hefe in 3 weeks. I've done it. It wasn't special by any means, but it was a decent Pyramid clone.

Full on German Hefeweizen can be done in a short time, but they never taste 'right' IMHO. Too sharp in flavor.
Hefe's should be mellow, soft and say .. hey buddy.,.. you need to drink like 4 of me, and tip the waitress a 10 spot minimum.

i really more more of a orange flavor, might add a touch of orange blossom honey and possibly some orange zest...

the zest will add more orange flavor than the honey ever will. Orange blossom honey does not equate to orange flavor.
Save the honey for the bad ass heroic mead you will want to brew after hanging with us for a while. :tank:

DB beat me to it, but a nice slice of Orange would make that beer you have planned a nice treat.
I detest Hefe's with Lemon.. it is unnatural. Wit's with a bit of Orange works for me somehow.

go figure.

the orange blossom honey was not for orange flavor...just to jazz it up a tad and bee a little different...i'm silly with the honey...Silly...

and the MEad is allready in the works...Thanks....
also, i am exceiting for my first batch of apfelwein to be done in 2 weeks...
i'll show you passed out on the bathroom flooooor....

thanks for the comments...will make the recipe above...drink it...love it...

If you don't mind dry yeast WB-06 is pretty good for a wheat-beer. Clears amazingly rapidly- disturbing to have such flocculation in a wheat! Better than T-58.

I usually keg hefes/wheats at ten days and am drinking them shortly thereafter. Tastes best at around three weeks IMO.

Make an orange extract from the zest of two organic oranges and a cup of vodca. Just put it in a mason jar or bottle it (don't worry about sanitizing, the vodka takes care of that) and add to taste at bottling time. My last batch I used an american ale dry yeast for the ferm and let it sit in secondary with two pounds of clover honey until it cleared, added the orange extract which I had filtered through a mesh coffee filter, and primed with about five and a half (I think...do the calculations yourself because I can't remember exactly) ounces of honey and then added a dry lager yeast since I wasn't sure if there was any viable yeast left. It conditioned cold after a week for one month and is now amazing. I did my mash in mid September and we just started drinking it.

Back