Heating for a fridge/freezer fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bregiz

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I have been inspired by all of the fermentation chamber builds on the site, and have acquired a fridge, ordered the sc 1000, and gone out and brought the necessary cables and fittings to wire everything with a mind to use a lightbulb as a heat source.

I have been looking at the layout of the fridge and musing on various strategy's and issues. I am finding it hard to decide on where the bulb should be placed, or even if it is safe to use the bulb as a heating source, as I see that some people have said that their bulb setups have caught fire! (I DO NOT want that!)

initially I thought that for space reasons mounting towards the top of the fridge chamber might be the best option, but then I thought that since heat rises, perhaps I should mount the bulb towards the bottom so that it will naturally circulate around the chamber. It occurred to me that it could be convenient to place it underneath the fermentation shelf, on the vertical side of the compressor hump, which would also be convenient for tapping wires through, and could have the benefit of turning the fermentation shelf into a kind of heat pad, but it also has the shelf above it which could trap the heat and prevent circulation.

I have also heard about people using the fridges door light as a heat source, which would be convenient, but does that really generate enough heat? Are the internal working of the fridge likely to be 230V (I am in NZ) or are they stepped down to 12V somewhere along the line.

If anyone has any experience or advice within these areas I would greatly appreciate the feedback.

Cheers in advance

I use a chest freezer for my fermentation chamber. It is a small size and a 6 gallon Better Bottle will not fit down in the freezer next to the hump. So I built a platform level with the hump. I bought a lamp repair kit from wally world. The kit contained a power cord, light socket with on/off switch, and hardware. I found an empty paint can, which was made of plastic, and installed the lamp repair kit in the paint can. I use a 60 watt light bulb for heat. The paint can is sitting at the bottom of the freezer under the platform along with a PC fan to circulate the air. The light generates enough heat to keep the ferm chamber at 68° through the winter months.

There are also ceramic "bulbs" for light sockets used for heat generation that you can look at. I may change to this type of "heater" when my last 60 watt goes out.

There are also ceramic "bulbs" for light sockets used for heat generation that you can look at. I may change to this type of "heater" when my last 60 watt goes out.

Ceramic heat emitters... are available at pet stores or specialty shops that deal in lizards. you can get um in 40 watt to 250 watts.

I use two 100 watt ceramic heat emitters
ImageHandler.ashx

for my Bearded Dragon tank and just bought another for my fermentation chamber build :D

Amazon is your friend
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Ceramic Heat Emitter

PHP:
Ceramic heat emitters... are available at pet stores or specialty shops that deal in lizards. you can get um in 40 watt to 250 watts.

I use two 100 watt ceramic heat emitters
ImageHandler.ashx

for my Bearded Dragon tank and just bought another for my fermentation chamber build :D

Amazon is your friend
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=Ceramic Heat Emitter

this is what I use in my chamber during the winter, it works great and there is no worry about light damage. I use a chest freezer, 27 cubic feet and it has no problem keeping up

How do you think they would go placed underneath a shelf with no fan?

Do they come in a bayonet fitting option?

How do you think they would go placed underneath a shelf with no fan?

Do they come in a bayonet fitting option?

They would work as a heating element just fine, no fans in my tank. But for this use it's a spot heat.

Only way I've seen them is a standard screw base.

There's also the seed germination mat option - which is waterproof and designed to give only a gentle heat. They seem to be about the same price (a dollar or two more) as the ceramic heater bulbs, but don't need a light fitting to be installed.

e.g. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0001WV010/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
Good point, and as a second source or option to that..
Under tank heating mats
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_s...der+tank,aps,283&rh=i:aps,k:under tank heater

various wattage's, and direct 120v plug in :mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
E_Marquez and runningweird: do the ceramic heat emitters get hot to the touch when on?

E_Marquez and runningweird: do the ceramic heat emitters get hot to the touch when on?

Yes they do.. (it's something I have to plan around so my dragons can not touch them)

Unless you need to heat from above, the heat mat is a better idea.
Sealed though not immersion proof, they will be fine with small to moderate airlock malfunction and overflow, or busted bottle.

The heat mats still get hot to the touch, but no where near the contact burn risk the emitters do.

How about the built on door light in the fridge. Does that get hot enough to use to heat the chamber? and are the internal electrics of the fridge 240v? or are they stepped down to 12v?

I set a 6 gallon better bottle or bucket inside a wine bucket, place a brew belt at the bottom of the out bucket, and wedge my stc probe between the buckets with foam insulation.

I have had no problems maintaining 10-15 degrees above ambient this way.

I recently finished a 64 cu ft chamber with a 5050 BTU GE AC unit. Our garage is well insulated but can get into the 40s or colder in winter. So, I was thinking about using a Honeywell baseboard heater that I've had for a few years. It is similar to this one but is an older model w/o the digital display.
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BC2GGS/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20
I have a lot of foam insulation inside my cabinet which is flammable. So whatever I use will have to be safe. A couple of the mats may be a better solution for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back