Citric Acid to Get Crud Off Braumeister Element?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint Yeastwood

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Anyone here try citric acid for cleaning the heating element in a Braumeister? I'm giving it a shot right now.

When I use this thing, crud sticks to the element, and there isn't much room to get in and clean it with a sponge, brush, or Scotchbrite pad. I used citric acid once and got good results, but I'm pretty sure it will eat the measuring marks on the center spindle if I keep using it with deep water.

Today I'm trying it with water over the element but below the marks. I'm running the pump. Should do the pipes some good.

A combination of fake Oxi-Clean (sodium percarbonate and washing soda) and a little Dawn does a great job with the rest of the machine.

I boiled the citric acid solution for maybe 15 minutes and then dumped it. It did not knock the crud off the element, but it softened it so it came off with a sponge and not much work. Now the element is shiny. Surely having crud stuck to a heating element submerged in wort has to be bad for beer.

Citric acid is extremely cheap.

Back