Saison Heather Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnsnownw

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP566
Yeast Starter
1.5L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 at 68
Tasting Notes
Slight sweetness and citrus, with an earthy herbal quality.
This grain-bill borrows heavily from "Cottage House Saison" recipe, but the recipe is different enough that I felt I shouldn't hijack the original thread.

8.5 lbs Golden Promise
1.5 lbs White Wheat
.5 lbs CaraMunich
.5 lbs Flaked Oats
1 lbs Honey - 5 min (Mine was from a local farm here in Minnesota)
.25 oz Rice Hulls

.75 oz Wakatu - 60 min
.25 oz Fuggles - 20 Min
2 oz Heather tips - 10 min
2 oz Heather tips - 5 min

Belgian Saison II Yeast

Mash at 150°, no mash-out, fly sparge.

The heather tips will float. After cooling the wort I poured through a basket strainer into a bucket, and then poured from the bucket into my carboy. I think it's an important step as the tips pour into the strainer first, and the cooled wort then passes through the bed of heather.

You will need to bottle condition for at least 7 weeks, as before this time the herbal quality of the heather is quite strong. It's sort of like drinking an herbal tea infused Saison. After 7 weeks, however, it's quite mellow and really comes into it's own. I would also advise putting all bottles into the fridge after the 7 weeks, and keeping them there until it's time to consume.

The heather adds it's own form of bitterness, so the IBU's are higher than the posted 22, but I have no way of measuring.

I'll try to get a better picture soon, but here you go:

rbldy17.jpg

Latest posts

Back