Heated Mash Tun

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brew-boy

Reaction score
Has anyone ever put a electric heating element with a thermostat into there mash tun? I thought this would be a good idea, One infusion and bring the temps up with the heater. A buddy of mine had a plastic bucket with this kind of heater in it that he used to brew in. Here is a link I found online as well.

http://www.wowway.com/~kkociolek8577/

I guess it could work using that ghetto-rigged deal as in the link. Though, I have trouble using a ghetto-rigged electric heating element in liquid, especially judging by how many "WARNING, YOU WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN!" disclaimers that he put on that page. Seems to not be worth the trouble to me.

I am building a 4.5KW steam boiler from a Corny keg. I just started working on it. I'll post pictures when I am done.

In his article, he says: "Note that a 120VAC element will not produce enough heat to boil five gallons of wort." That is untrue. My first full boil brewing session was with a heater element in a 7 gallon fermenting bucket. I boiled 6 gallons of wort, no problem. Keep a lit on it to keep the heat in.

I was not worried about the boil just keeping the rests at 122,140,152. I not worried about burning down my house as I would never leave it unattended. Seems like a good idea to me so I might try it.

Im in the process of building this HERMS
Look at the Heat exchange page.
I put the heating element into the cooler and will wire it up to a Ranco controller to control the temperature soon, But I have not fired it up just yet . I don't know if you want the element in direct contact with the grain, like you are talking about.

Bsquared said:
I don't know if you want the element in direct contact with the grain, like you are talking about.
In general, that's a bad idea. However, I've heard of people using "heat sticks" in the mash, and constantly stirring anytime the element is turned on. That seems like a solid concept.

i use a 2000w heatstick to heat my strike water ..... and boil my wort ... i've boiled almost 8 gallons of water with one stick .... make sure your running nothing else on the outlet and that your breaker is at least 20amps

I made a boiler for my hot liquor tank from a fermenting pail and an immersion heater. As for using it as a mash tun then I'd be concerened that it'd scorch wort/grain in contact and to get a temp rise to be consistant through out the bed would take a lot of stiring (that may cause oxidisation) and ther's going to be hot spots.

I'd ask is there realy that much benefit over doing a single temp infusion in a cooler?

If I wanted to do step infusions then I think I'd look at rims or herms or mishmash (brewmans) or somthing.

I'd be afraid of scorching the grain. If you want to do step mashing I would recommend a RIMS. It is difficult to control a step mash in a HERMS due to heat conduction.

Also remember that with todays malting technology it really isn't necessary to have step mashes...

Old thread I know but I am thinking of doin this in a pot under the false bottom. I don't see how it could scorch the grain there esp while recirculating, any thoughts?

Old thread I know but I am thinking of doin this in a pot under the false bottom. I don't see how it could scorch the grain there esp while recirculating, any thoughts?

This approach has developed considerably over the last five years. Electric direct fire RIMS works fine and dandy.

Back