Heat water before adding extract?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilwiggum

Reaction score
I've been made about half a dozen extract batches following the same process: heat water to 155, steep grains for 30 minutes, discard grains and add malt extract, bring to a boil. I just made a kit from AHS and they recommend that after steeping, bring the water to a boil and then add the malt extract and heat to bring back to a boil.

What are the benefits of doing this the AHS way? I would assume it might cut down the time to reach the boiling point but I'm worried about the increased chance of burning the extract (or myself when I add it). Any thoughts?

It probably comes to a boil faster. If you take it off of the heat and stir it in, it shouldn't scorch when you add it.

I like to add most of the extract at the end of the boil- it keeps it from darkening and seems to give a more grain-like taste. It really doesn't matter, though- you can add the extract whenever you'd like.

It probably comes to a boil faster. If you take it off of the heat and stir it in, it shouldn't scorch when you add it.

I like to add most of the extract at the end of the boil- it keeps it from darkening and seems to give a more grain-like taste. It really doesn't matter, though- you can add the extract whenever you'd like.

Thanks for the reply. I'll probably experiment a bit on my next batches to see the taste differences.

My last two batches I added half the LME early, and half within the last 15 minutes. Worked out just fine. :)

The hotter the water is, the easier it will be to mix in LME. You don't say if you're using LME or DME, but I thought I'd throw that out as a consideration. You can even add your extract at the end of the boil. Gives you lighter beer since the extract doesn't caramelize as much and you get better hop utilization (in theory). I do partial mashes and only boil my hops with what I get from the grains. Sort of a small all-grain brew. Then at the end of the boil, I add enough extract to make up for the top up water I need to reach 5 gallons.

I also experimented with my last extract brew last weekend. I added 25% right after the boil began, the rest of it the last 15min. This might turn out to be a better brew than my all-grains have been!

Back