Heat times - Grainfather G40 vs. 5500w biab system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SaltNeck

Reaction score
Looking at a new system and considering heat times.

The Grainfather G40 has a 3300W heating potentional in the US:

Heat to Strike:
@ 90% efficiency - 4 gallons of 58F water to 160F would be about 20 minutes.

Heat to Boil after sparge:
@ 90% efficiency - 6.5 gallons of 155F water to 210F would be about 16 minutes.

A 5500W element has a 5500W heating potentional in the US :p ... there's a joke in there somewhere...):

Heat to Strike:
@ 90% efficiency - 4 gallons of 58F water to 160F would be about 12 minutes.

@ 90% efficiency - 6.5 gallons of 155F water to 210F would be about 10 minutes.

This is the calculator I've used:
Water Heating Time Calculator (gettopics.com)

The Grainfather G40 wait times would be about 35 - 45 minutes for getting up to strike *and* boiling temperatures.

The 5500W element wait times would be about 20 - 30 minutes for getting up to strike *and* boiling temperatures.

Can anyone with the Grainfather G40 and/or a 5500W element confirm these times or provide real world, first hand experience numbers?

At the bottom if this page is a chart that will give you real world numbers for temp rises intervals.

I have a 5500 watt element and brew.commander. To heat water, I use 100% power. Once I have wort, I crank it down 10-20%. I had some scorched wort on the element when I ran it 100%.

Granted I have no idea what part of the brew day my wort was scorched or why.

Bottom line, I am not bothered by the longer to temp rise times. I got enough things to keep me busy. I would let other considerations, besides max power dominate my final decision.

https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1902.htm

At the bottom if this page is a chart that will give you real world numbers for temp rises intervals.

I have a 5500 watt element and brew.commander. To heat water, I use 100% power. Once I have wort, I crank it down 10-20%. I had some scorched wort on the element when I ran it 100%.

Granted I have no idea what part of the brew day my wort was scorched or why.

Bottom line, I am not bothered by the longer to temp rise times. I got enough things to keep me busy. I would let other considerations, besides max power dominate my final decision.

https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1902.htm

Fine particulates that are allowed to settle on the element are usually the problem. Giving the wort a brisk stir right before the long run up to a boil has never failed me even at 100% output.

Looking at a new system and considering heat times.

The Grainfather G40 has a 3300W heating potentional in the US:

Heat to Strike:
@ 90% efficiency - 4 gallons of 58F water to 160F would be about 20 minutes.

@ 90% efficiency - 6.5 gallons of 155F water to 210F would be about 16 minutes.

A 5500W element has a 5500W heating potentional in the US :p ... there's a joke in there somewhere...):

Heat to Strike:
@ 90% efficiency - 4 gallons of 58F water to 160F would be about 12 minutes.

@ 90% efficiency - 6.5 gallons of 155F water to 210F would be about 10 minutes.

This is the calculator I've used:
Water Heating Time Calculator (gettopics.com)

The Grainfather G40 wait times would be about 35 - 45 minutes for getting up to strike *and* boiling temperatures.

The 5500W element wait times would be about 20 - 30 minutes for getting up to strike *and* boiling temperatures.

Can anyone with the Grainfather G40 and/or a 5500W element confirm these times or provide real world, first hand experience numbers?

Elements that are immersed in the liquid are going to be close to 95% efficient while bonded elements are closer to 80% because there is some heat loss in the other direction.

Back