Heat Shield Prototypes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you think you would ever make one just to protect a weldless thermometer? ie a Brewmometer fitted into a Megapot? (my set-up)

Oh, and I could definitely see myself buying the one featured in the last picture above to protect my ball valves.

I don't know about you, but all the valves I have that need heat protection are 3 piece models.

I have some production units ready to go in limited quantities and just thought I'd throw up some of the latest pictures. To be completely honest, the assembly of these is a total pain in the butt. Even with a pneumatic riveter, I'm still punching the holes and removing the mandrels by hand.

HSfinal1.jpg

HSfinal2.jpg

Awesome, i've been waiting for these to be ready. I'm looking to order a couple of them from you, but need help on which size to get on one of them.

3 are easy - your WLSL sight glass and 2 ball valves.

However my BK has this sightglass: Weldless KEG Sight Gauge kit

The compression fitting is about 13/16" across (put a wrench on it). Which of the heat shields would best fit that sight glass?

Well, the large clip would fit but I don't think you want that big plate sticking out. If you want the large clip on the smaller plate, order an extra large and put a comment in during checkout that you want a 3x3 plate on one of the large ones. The large pricing is more related to the attachment labor for the larger clips (two holes, two rivets).

Well, the large clip would fit but I don't think you want that big plate sticking out. If you want the large clip on the smaller plate, order an extra large and put a comment in during checkout that you want a 3x3 plate on one of the large ones. The large pricing is more related to the attachment labor for the larger clips (two holes, two rivets).
Thanks Bobby. I just placed the order. 4 shields and a few SS fittings.

Stock current as of right this second:

Small - for WLSL 27

Large - for LTS kit 8

Small - With Large Clip 4

Large - Horizontal for ball valve 3

These things take a while to put together but I'm getting faster at it. Found a sweet antique metal punch in a box of my grandfather's tools.

Would one of the shields work for the Blichmann kettle sight glass assembly?

I finally had a brew club member bring his 15 gallon version in and I can say for sure that the Small with Large Clip version clips on snuggly to that square block at the bottom. They're going to give me feedback after their next brew.

Oh, $10 flat pricing on all heat shields due to snappy faster spot welding technique... woot!

Back