Heady Topper- Can you clone it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I’m not mistaken they recirculate through a Grundy full of bagged hops when they dry hop so they get maximum exposure from smaller hop charges.

Unless you can do the same you’d probably need more hops.

There are no dry hops added during fermentation of any Alchemist beers from what I can gather.

Interesting - I was at the brewery earlier this summer and was able to pick one of the brewers brains on that - they told me to crash out as much yeast as possible and then dry hop. They also told me they dry hop COLD i.e. at cold crash temps (38-40) and that they use a keg loaded with hops in a sack of panty hose - I double checked with them too because I wanted to make sure I heard that correctly... He confirmed that and said they use those because they feel there is better extraction rather than using cheesecloth. Just to clarify - the person I spoke with said that was their method they use for a local engagement for a special version of focal banger and is a small/specialty batch. So not sure they do the same for their full size batches but I'd agree with you that they probably employ some sort of similar method with the bagged hops on the full size brews.

Reading your comment above this has got my engineering hat on thinking about how to rig something similar up using a corny keg and an added port to my conical fermenter. Thought is I'll punch a hole about half up the barrel part of the conical and then recirc through the sample arm and only use CO2. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Interesting - I was at the brewery earlier this summer and was able to pick one of the brewers brains on that - they told me to crash out as much yeast as possible and then dry hop. They also told me they dry hop COLD i.e. at cold crash temps (38-40) and that they use a keg loaded with hops in a sack of panty hose - I double checked with them too because I wanted to make sure I heard that correctly... He confirmed that and said they use those because they feel there is better extraction rather than using cheesecloth. Just to clarify - the person I spoke with said that was their method they use for a local engagement for a special version of focal banger and is a small/specialty batch. So not sure they do the same for their full size batches but I'd agree with you that they probably employ some sort of similar method with the bagged hops on the full size brews.

Reading your comment above this has got my engineering hat on thinking about how to rig something similar up using a corny keg and an added port to my conical fermenter. Thought is I'll punch a hole about half up the barrel part of the conical and then recirc through the sample arm and only use CO2. Thoughts?

Some experiments have shown that dry hopping cold gets grassy flavors.

fwiw, I frequently keg-hop with whole cones, leaving the hops in until the keg kicks - often weeks - and I've yet to encounter grassy characters from the process.

I expect if there's a potential for grass it's strain-dependent - I've used all of the C-hops, plus Citra/Mosaic/Galaxy/Denali and others in that class where the respective characters are far from subtle. Otoh, I probably wouldn't try it using noble hops...

Cheers!

they weren’t just f’ing with you?!

Yup. If you go to the brewery you’ll see all these portable Grundy tanks hanging out in the space between the FVs. That’s what they dry hop in. There’s a photo on Instagram somewhere of them pulling the bagged hops out of the Grundy.

The issue is how do they purge the Grundy tanks so well. They either have some special process or they burn a **** load of Co2.

The cold=Grass is a myth. It just takes longer to extract the flavor/aroma at lower temps.

B6FE9C1F-F168-4DB1-9572-8068B3F67B36.png
Here yah go

Yup. If you go to the brewery you’ll see all these portable Grundy tanks hanging out in the space between the FVs. That’s what they dry hop in. There’s a photo on Instagram somewhere of them pulling the bagged hops out of the Grundy.

The issue is how do they purge the Grundy tanks so well. They either have some special process or they burn a poopy load of Co2.

The cold=Grass is a myth. It just takes longer to extract the flavor/aroma at lower temps.
Fantastic I am definitely going to try this next... They told me they use nitrogen to push the beer because it's less harmful to the environment.

I agree on the cold temp myth, I've keg hopped and let it sit until keg kicked and I've never experienced grassy notes. Just need to be more patient with it.

Scott Janish's new book covers it too in his dry hopping chapter and talks briefly about studies performed and the time just takes a bit longer.

I’m gonna do bobbrews’ recipe more or less. But I can’t get a hop shot — that trend seemed to die out around here in 2016...

So what how many ibus should I bitter to with warrior pellets? I’m thinking 50.

You can get hop extract through Yakima Valley Hops. If you buy the bulk can and go to your local farm and ranch or vet supply store you can buy syringes to fill. You’ll literally never have to buy hops for bittering again. And from what I understand hop extract doesn’t degrade.

You can get hop extract through Yakima Valley Hops. If you buy the bulk can and go to your local farm and ranch or vet supply store you can buy syringes to fill. You’ll literally never have to buy hops for bittering again. And from what I understand hop extract doesn’t degrade.

You’re referring to the liquid hop extract that YVH sells in 10ml syringes? I’ve noticed that those definitely seem to darken over time, but not sure how much this would negatively affect the alpha acids or flavors. I’ve been hesitant to store them in the freezer, but maybe it wouldn’t solidify at freezer temps?

Do you do the full 110 ibus of Columbus at 60 mins?

last time i tried 60 Tinseth IBUs of Summit at 60 min and a 165F whirlpool. It was nice but less bitter than HT. So, if i wanted it more bitter i’d increase the whirlpool to flameout temps and let it drop naturally or shoot for 80-100 IBUs at 60 min as you suggest. Summit is good b/c it can be over 17%AA.

Theres sooooo many recipes here, but not really a lot of results. Anyone want to share their recipe, result, and reaction in one single post so anyone joining this thread doesnt have to go through all 100 pages?
Still hoping someone has a recipe they have brewed that they can share, including the results, and how close they think it came. A lot of recipes coming up on this thread but not a lot of results.

Still hoping someone has a recipe they have brewed that they can share, including the results, and how close they think it came. A lot of recipes coming up on this thread but not a lot of results.
Mine was very good, not sure how close though. I don't have the computer with me to look it up. I believe I made a post a few years ago with the recipe.

Wow! I just spent the last couple of days reading all of the 937 messages in the initial discussion regarding Heady Topper, in addition to the 3,859 messages in this forum, a total of 4,796 messages! A fascinating discussion, but it seemed to suddenly peter out a couple of years ago. There were a lot of experiments underway, and members contacting Heady Topper for additional information.

What happened to all that enthusiasm, and what were the results of the various testing that was underway? (Such as comparing the three main recipes, testing the addition of one set of dry hops rather than 2 or 3, testing using dextrose instead of turbinado sugar, etc., etc., etc.)
?

What happened to all that enthusiasm
?
i can only speak for myself, but HT has lost a lot of its luster. when this thread was started in 2013, hazy IPA wasn't a widely known style and HT was one-of-a-kind. we were all trying to figure out NEIPAs and HT was our beacon. fast forward to 2019/2020, and hazies are everywhere, we've cracked the code... and HT isn't as good as it used to be (again, IMO). last few times i've had it, it has shifted towards more dank and spicy. i suspect i'll get tarred and feathered for saying this, but these days HT isn't in my top 5 NEIPAs. it's still a damn fine beer and i'll grab one whenever i can, but this is in no small part due to nostalgia. my desire to clone HT has been superseded by my own hazy recipes.

i can only speak for myself, but HT has lost a lot of its luster. when this thread was started in 2013, hazy IPA wasn't a widely known style and HT was one-of-a-kind. we were all trying to figure out NEIPAs and HT was our beacon. fast forward to 2019/2020, and hazies are everywhere, we've cracked the code... and HT isn't as good as it used to be (again, IMO). last few times i've had it, it has shifted towards more dank and spicy. i suspect i'll get tarred and feathered for saying this, but these days HT isn't in my top 5 NEIPAs. it's still a damn fine beer and i'll grab one whenever i can, but this is in no small part due to nostalgia. my desire to clone HT has been superseded by my own hazy recipes.

Yes, I can see that the enthusiasm started to wane quite abruptly after 2017 or so. I made a "clone" (hate that word because clones don't really exist) in June of 2017 (using a different recipe) while my son made the recipe current at that time from this forum (the veganbrewer's recipe) so that we could compare the two against a real HT. His won hands down. However, although it was close to the original, there were still some differences. Part of the reason may be because he was unable to obtain Pearl (he replaced it with Maris Otter Pale Ale), although everything else in the recipe was identical. As a result, his was slightly darker than the HT. Other noticeable differences from the original included:

1. the foam didn't lace as much as the original;
2. not as much aroma;
3. not as cloudy;
4. heavier body;
5. less bitter;
6. not as carbonated (not a fault of the recipe);
7. lacked the distinctive "orange" flavor.

In terms of overall sweetness, it was the same. I'm surprised that some of these observations weren't observed by others, unless there were differences in equipment/practices that might account for them.

I generally do not prefer IPA's, but Heady Topper (and a couple of others) are an exception. I really enjoy it. I am currently brewing my second batch, this one based on bobbrews' recipe, but modified for my own enjoyment.

I've had HT's back then, and I've had a couple recently. You are right - they seem to have changed somewhat, although I still find them to be exceptional.

I have one question in particular that I only saw very vaguely addressed in all of the messages. I don't know if it's my own unique palette, but the main thing I like most about HT (other than it's incredible balance of hops/malt) is the little pearl of concentrated orange juice tucked away in the middle of all that grapefruit. Both the recipe that I followed, and the one by veganbrewer, do not have that little pearl. It's the exact touch I would like to achieve. Most of the people who have posted in this forum seemed to have focused more on the dankness, the grapefruit, and other fruit flavors, but only a couple even mentioned the distinctive concentrated sweet orange (or tangerine) flavor that I found so appealing.

Do you, or anyone else, know from which hops that flavor might come from? It might help explain a missing hop, or one that might not be concentrated enough. Amarillo perhaps? Thank you.

Last edited:
This is totally on point. Well said.

Bingo. I make my own NEIPA now, my own recipe, partially due to all the learning and reading here and elsewhere. I prefer mine because I make it how I like it but I'm definitely "standing on the shoulders of giants" as the expression goes.

Kal

I've had HT's back then, and I've had a couple recently. You are right - they seem to have changed somewhat, although I still find them to be exceptional.
<snip>
Do you, or anyone else, know from which hops that flavor might come from? It might help explain a missing hop, or one that might not be concentrated enough. Amarillo perhaps? Thank you.
kimmich has stated that the hop bill changes. several different hops are used, and the varieties and percentages can change from batch to batch.

amarillo and mandarina bavaria would be the first places i'd look if i was seeking orange flavor. mandarina would be my first port of call, amarillo can be quite variable year to year (and possibly farm to farm, can't confirm).

amarillo and mandarina bavaria would be the first places i'd look if i was seeking orange flavor.

Personally I'd take First Gold over Mandarina.

But I'd point out that you don't get orange just from hops, it's a classic characteristic of the Fuller's yeast - the actual one, as opposed to the homebrew strains that supposedly came from it (and in fact the lack of orange is the best indication that they're not the real Fuller's yeast). So if you can't get ready access to 1845 or Lancer/IPA for harvesting the real thing, Imperial A09 Pub is meant to be close, might be worth mixing some in with a Conan?

kimmich has stated that the hop bill changes. several different hops are used, and the varieties and percentages can change from batch to batch.

Yes, apparently they have purchased their own hop farm in Oregon, likely between Salem and Portland.

amarillo and mandarina bavaria would be the first places i'd look if i was seeking orange flavor. mandarina would be my first port of call, amarillo can be quite variable year to year (and possibly farm to farm, can't confirm).

Thanks. I might give mandarina a try.

Personally I'd take First Gold over Mandarina.

But I'd point out that you don't get orange just from hops, it's a classic characteristic of the Fuller's yeast - the actual one, as opposed to the homebrew strains that supposedly came from it (and in fact the lack of orange is the best indication that they're not the real Fuller's yeast). So if you can't get ready access to 1845 or Lancer/IPA for harvesting the real thing, Imperial A09 Pub is meant to be close, might be worth mixing some in with a Conan?

Great idea! I might try that as well as the mandarina hop.

Personally Ive tried to replicate HT 3 times, with three different approaches, and didnt get close. Lifes too short to keep brewing the same recipe. Only get so many orbits

Personally Ive tried to replicate HT 3 times, with three different approaches, and didnt get close. Lifes too short to keep brewing the same recipe. Only get so many orbits

I've tried to duplicate many beers, not just one, and the process itself taught me much more than I could ever learn otherwise. For me, it's not all about the actual duplication of the beer, but learning more about the very subtleties that affect the taste, look, feel, and aroma of a beer. In that way, I can build upon that to brew my own version of what appeals most to me, or of what may not be readily available in my location. That is why, in this particular beer, I'm so interested in that pearl of a concentrated orange taste in the middle of all that grapefruit. To me, it's that subtlety that I'm after to try to build in my own customized version.

My other thought would be that different Conans from different sources can behave quite differently, Scott Janish reports that the Gigayeast one can be quite orangey but equally its fruitiness is not very consistent :

http://scottjanish.com/gy054-vermont-ipa-vs-london-ale-iii-1318/

+1 though on the idea that the interest in cloning is not the clone in itself, but the technical challenge of trying to hit a specific target with your beers.

My other thought would be that different Conans from different sources can behave quite differently, Scott Janish reports that the Gigayeast one can be quite orangey but equally its fruitiness is not very consistent :

Interesting article. They do mention that that the orange description related to the aroma rather than the taste, but if it has the aroma, then it must also be in the taste. The article also mentions the unpredicatablity in the Vermont strain, which others have noted. For my current attempt, I'm actually using a "Vermont Ale" strain from Escarpment Labs, which is located here in Ontario. It is supposed to be the Conan strain. I was surprised at how rapidly it ferments. Within just less than 2 days after pitching the yeast, the SG was already at 1.021!

I believe it is. I read somewhere that they blend several different batches. I'll see if I can find the reference.
It's in message 911 of this thread.

Hopefully, this link will work:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/heady-topper-can-you-clone-it.390082/page-23#post-5208451

By the way, it's impossible to clone a commercial beer using homebrewer equipment and smaller batch sizes, and different ingredients. Even commercial breweries can't "clone" their own beer, as we all know. I hate the term "clone", and appreciate your use of "replicate". We should all stick to the term "replicated beer" or something similar, and forever do away with the term "clone beer". It's entirely misleading.

Last edited:
It's in message 911 of this thread.

Hopefully, this link will work:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/heady-topper-can-you-clone-it.390082/page-23#post-5208451

By the way, it's impossible to clone a commercial beer using homebrewer equipment and smaller batch sizes, and different ingredients. Even commercial breweries can't "clone" their own beer, as we all know. I hate the term "clone", and appreciate your use of "replicate". We should all stick to the term "replicated beer" or something similar, and forever do away with the term "clone beer". It's entirely misleading.

Hmmm... Guess I'll have to change my nickname from the Clone Ranger to The Replicator!

Back