Headspace concerns

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebbz

Reaction score
I have a question regarding headspace. I understand that headspace in a secondary should be kept to a minimum to reduce oxidation. If one has only a larger vessel (6G carboy for a 5G batch), can a purging the empty space with CO2 significantly eliminate degradation instead of acquiring a smaller container? Apologies if this topic has already breached.

I have a question regarding headspace. I understand that headspace in a secondary should be kept to a minimum to reduce oxidation. If one has only a larger vessel (6G carboy for a 5G batch), can a purging the empty space with CO2 significantly eliminate degradation instead of acquiring a smaller container? Apologies if this topic has already breached.

From all I have read, CO2 can protect beer from oxidation in the primary or secondary. I have to be honest as I haven't done this personally as I bottle exclusively.

But I have to say when I saw your avatar and read the thread title, I was confused as to its meaning! I mean, Rush are rock gods... Hellz yeah!!

If you purge the headspace w/ Co2, you'll significantly reduce the amount of O2 that can oxidize your beer. Beverage CO2 isn't completely pure, but it's a heckuva lot better than just regular air.

Is there any reason you're using a secondary? If it's just a normal beer, you don't need to do that unless you're out of space and need the primary back again.

I think it depends on when you rack to secondary. If you do it when you still have a few gravity points to ferment out, then the yeast will do a sufficient job of scavenging and purging the oxygen in the secondary, and you don't have to worry about it.

It's more of a concern if your primary has already reached terminal gravity when you rack to secondary.

If you purge the headspace w/ Co2, you'll significantly reduce the amount of O2 that can oxidize your beer. Beverage CO2 isn't completely pure, but it's a heckuva lot better than just regular air.

Is there any reason you're using a secondary? If it's just a normal beer, you don't need to do that unless you're out of space and need the primary back again.
It is more for the bulk aging of a high gravity wee heavy. I have read that better results are obtained than aging in bottles. I expect the same answer would apply to transferring to a carboy for secondary. I would have no problem waiting an extra month but i want to get the beer off the trub. I guess i could also transfer it and dump a few ounces of fermentables to kick start CO2 production. What say ye!

And yes...HUGE RUSH FAN!

From all I have read, CO2 can protect beer from oxidation in the primary or secondary. I have to be honest as I haven't done this personally as I bottle exclusively.

But I have to say when I saw your avatar and read the thread title, I was confused as to its meaning! I mean, Rush are rock gods... Hellz yeah!!
They are the gods that rock gods praise! IMHO.

Back