Ohio Headed to Cleveland

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tally350z

Reaction score
Headed to Cleveland the second week in August and wanted to get some ideas where to go to get great beer, both on tap and in the bottle to bring back to Florida.
I'm already planning on going to The Brew Kettle in Strongsville.
Thanks

Brew Kettle is not bad. While you are on the west side, I would say go a little bit north and west of there and hit Fat Heads in North Olmsted. A great selection on tap and the headwiches are da bomb!

If you go Downtown, Great Lakes has a good Taproom and store with all there stuff in bottles. I've also heard there might be something at the Westside Market, but haven't been down there to see that.

Enjoy!

Cleveland has quite a few good breweries. The ones already mentioned are good. Also look at platform brewing, Willoughby Brewing, Buckeye brewing has a few decent beers. Check out the tasting room at fat heads production facility, they dont have the same menu as the restaurant, but its pretty good.

My favorite spots are Fatheads in North Olmstead, Great Lakes and Market Garden and Portside Distillery is pretty good too. I haven't been too impressed with Platform the few times I've been in there. There seems to be a new one opening every other day.

Headed to Cleveland the second week in August and wanted to get some ideas where to go to get great beer, both on tap and in the bottle to bring back to Florida.
I'm already planning on going to The Brew Kettle in Strongsville.
Thanks

Where all did you hit up, if you have been here yet? I live next door to The Brew Kettle.

We went to Fat heads. They were out of the Juju though.. then I went to my buddies house in Lima oh. I brought back a bunch of white raja, and Jackie os

We went to Fat heads. They were out of the Juju though.. then I went to my buddies house in Lima oh. I brought back a bunch of white raja, and Jackie os

White rajah is the best! Yeah juju won't be out until early next year again but they will randomly release kegs throughout the year.

I'm going to update in case anyone else wanders by.
I'm from the west side.

My favorites:
Tap houses
Yard House - Huge selection of premium quality beer, all on draft. Not much local.
The Rail - Large selection of Ohio beers on draft. Right next to a Beer Garden with rare beers (owned by the same company).
Winking Lizard - Huge selection, mostly bottles. Usually a few local offerings but not a lot. Numerous locations around Cleveland.

Breweries
Avon Brewing Co - I live right by it so maybe I'm biased, but they have great beer and a significant bottle list as well, lots of local stuff.
Great Lakes Brewing Co - well established Cleveland brewery. Consistently good beer, conservative approach.
Platform - specializes in small and experimental batches. Huge draft list of their own beer that constantly rotates.
Fat Head's - High quality beer, large variety of styles.
Masthead - My beer enthusiast friend downtown loves it. I only had a couple beers but very good so far.

These breweries are average in terms of beer quality, in my opinion:
Cornerstone Brewing Co
Market Garden
Bad Tom Smith
Rock River Brewing Co
Saucy Brew Works
Railroad Brewing Co
Brew Kettle
Butcher and the Brewer
Buckeye Beer Engine (or now just called Beer Engine?)

Disappointing breweries:
Nano - minimal selection, poor service
Sibling Revelry - weird fruit and flavored stuff that doesn't turn out well.
Franklin - no tap room

Haven't been to these breweries:
Goldhorn, Forest City, Terrestrial, Noble Beast, Collision Bend, Bottlehouse, Hansa, Boss Dog, Working Class, Brick and Barrel, Bottlehouse, Bar Cento, Willoughby Brewing Co, Bookhouse Brewing, Hofbrauhaus, McNulty's Bier Markt, The Jolly Scholar, Brim Kitchen & Brewery, The Cleveland Brewery
May be more. Seems like they pop up every month.

Wow looks like I've been slacking!

Portside mentioned earlier is now closed.

I'm going to update in case anyone else wanders by.
I'm from the west side.

My favorites:
Tap houses
Yard House - Huge selection of premium quality beer, all on draft. Not much local.
The Rail - Large selection of Ohio beers on draft. Right next to a Beer Garden with rare beers (owned by the same company).
Winking Lizard - Huge selection, mostly bottles. Usually a few local offerings but not a lot. Numerous locations around Cleveland.

Breweries
Avon Brewing Co - I live right by it so maybe I'm biased, but they have great beer and a significant bottle list as well, lots of local stuff.
Great Lakes Brewing Co - well established Cleveland brewery. Consistently good beer, conservative approach.
Platform - specializes in small and experimental batches. Huge draft list of their own beer that constantly rotates.
Fat Head's - High quality beer, large variety of styles.
Masthead - My beer enthusiast friend downtown loves it. I only had a couple beers but very good so far.

These breweries are average in terms of beer quality, in my opinion:
Cornerstone Brewing Co
Market Garden
Bad Tom Smith
Rock River Brewing Co
Saucy Brew Works
Railroad Brewing Co
Brew Kettle
Butcher and the Brewer
Buckeye Beer Engine (or now just called Beer Engine?)

Disappointing breweries:
Nano - minimal selection, poor service
Sibling Revelry - weird fruit and flavored stuff that doesn't turn out well.
Franklin - no tap room

Haven't been to these breweries:
Goldhorn, Forest City, Terrestrial, Noble Beast, Collision Bend, Bottlehouse, Hansa, Boss Dog, Working Class, Brick and Barrel, Bottlehouse, Bar Cento, Willoughby Brewing Co, Bookhouse Brewing, Hofbrauhaus, McNulty's Bier Markt, The Jolly Scholar, Brim Kitchen & Brewery, The Cleveland Brewery
May be more. Seems like they pop up every month.

Wow looks like I've been slacking!

Portside mentioned earlier is now closed.

Noble beast is good, terrestrial has a legit porter called “I love it when I save the turtles”, bottle house is rad

Noble beast is good, terrestrial has a legit porter called “I love it when I save the turtles”, bottle house is rad
Since I posted that I've been to Masthead, Noble Beast and Bottlehouse. Bottle house has really good mixed fermentation sours. The beers I tried at Noble Beast were all right.
:mug:

Masthead has never disappointed me. Bottlehouse is excellent for sours, and Noble Beast is meh.

Going back, I went to Avon brewing a few weeks ago for the first time.. I had no idea they were contract brewed in Madison.

Hansa has some great beers. Plus they are served in giant glass mugs and the owner will drink with you all day at the bar.

Back