Head Retention

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYY

Reaction score
Recently completed my first all-grain biab batch. Brewed a Belgian Blonde. Overall I'm happy with the beer for my first batch on this system, however there is absolutely zero head retention. I'm trying to figure out what may have caused this:

1. During brewing a made a couple of mistakes with learning the new process. I overshot the water volume by 1.3 gallons and the beer came in at 1.048 vs. recipe of 1.062. Another mistake was during cooling.....was using a CFC for the first time and it took forever to cool the wort. Also, after whirlpool I forgot to let the break material to settle before transferring to fermentor. Could one of these cause lack of head retention?

2. The recipe was 80% Pilsner, 10% candy sugar, 4% white wheat, 4% flaked oats, and 2% aromatic. Used wyeast 1214....two packs with starter. Anything in the recipe that could lead to head retention issues?

3. At hot break a thick material formed at the top. I'm pretty sure it was from the oats. I ended up scoping most of this out of the kettle. Could this impact?

Just trying to trouble shoot this for next session.

Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks

How are you serving your beer? Nothing in your recipe jumps out at me as being a head retention killer...if you are bottling how much corn sugar did you use? If you're kegging it could be your line length or PSI.

The more info on serving the better!

Cheers!

Its kegged. Same set up I've used for many batches without the same issue. PSI set at 12

Thanks for any help

Did you use any soap to clean your equipment prior to brewing?

It's also possible that the glassware you're drinking from has residual oils/soap residue on it which will destroy head retention, as well.

No, the system was brand new. Cleaned with the recommended barkeepers friend on the stainless and then rinsed thoroughly. Afterward did a water test which circulated hot water throughout system to test control and determine boil off rate

Sometimes there's an oily manufacturing residue on new equipment that needs TSP to remove, then you can passivate it. I prefer to use citric acid to do so, as it's pretty available, nontoxic and safer to handle.

With brand new stuff, I'll usually clean it with TSP, then clean it with PBW, then passivate it with citric acid.

That being said, how are you cleaning your glassware? Could be soap and/or oil residue on your glass killing your head.

I'm not an expert or any such in fact I'm still trying to improve head retention, myself but I would have tried to stir in the thick oat stuff at hot break. That's what I usually do. Also, is it fully carbed and conditioned?

Thanks. I will trade cleaning with TSP before next batch.

I have seen mixed comments on skimming or stirring hot break - it there a general best practice on this?

It is fully carbed, and has been in the keg for over a week. Is it possible that additional time would help?

Hot break doesn't make it into the final product, so either way works.

You could also try picking up some disposable plastic cups and pour into one of them, they'll be perfectly clean and will show you if the problem lies in the beer or in your glassware.

It is fully carbed, and has been in the keg for over a week. Is it possible that additional time would help?

Did you force carb at a higher pressure than 12 psi? On my keg system, it takes 12 - 14 days to get to fully carbed at 12 psi. You still might want to wait a few more days.

You might also want to try hand washing your glassware. A non "beer clean" glass can kill the head quick as well.

Back