Head retention vs keg time/age

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greengt

Reaction score
I've noticed my beer start off with good head and head rentention when i pour them from my kegerator within the first month or so. After that it seems like when i pour i barely get a head in the glass and if i do there does not seem to have good retention. Altho the small ring of foam that does appear seams to cling well to the edges of the glass when rotating... This has been happening with all my brews that dont get drank as fast +- 15 beers of different styles. has anyone also noticed this in the beers? Is it normal?

Are you cleaning your lines while its on tap? Going 6 weeks without cleaning your lines will kill your head retention amongst other things.

No... Never in between keg refills.

I'm guessing beer line cleaner, or will bpw do?

yep. Those work fine. I use pbw, but beer line cleaner is more proper.

But remember when you go to the crappy sort of dive bar, and mistakenly order a draft beer, when the locals are drinking bottled. Its got no head. And has a slight whiff of dumpster. All kegs of bud are the same; its not the beer that was delivered. At six weeks you are getting 10% of that effect.

A couple other things. It could be the carbonation balancing. What's your psi? Or does the keg have a small leak?

I tried some line cleaner a few minutes ago and foam seems much better. Thanks Girafe!

For the keg leek i'll look into it, but if the beer is not flat how could i'm not sure I understand how it could be an issue?

I tried some line cleaner a few minutes ago and foam seems much better. Thanks Girafe!

For the keg leek i'll look into it, but if the beer is not flat how could i'm not sure I understand how it could be an issue?

There could still be a slight leak in the lid or something. Happened to me just recently. Had half a tank of C02 (5 pound tank) go dead overnight because of a slight leak and the beer was very lightly carbonated at best. Turns out my lid needed some adjusting and now it's all nice and tight. :mug:

Back