Head count of active homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd self-report restarting the hobby during pandemic. I'd been living in tiny apartments where I just didn't have the space, but when my apartment building went up for sale during the housing boom/bubble/whatever I ended up having to leave. Thankfully I had been saving cash and found a nice place I didn't overpay too much for (at least relevant to other properties). I had some cash left over and restarted the journey.

@Velnerj
Brewing beers like those you buy
Also by Dave Line is good.
Some of the recipes are a bit overhopped by modern conversions but that was probably due to the low quality hops.
But I used to really enjoy the Theakstons old peculier recipe.
That was a great Ale! I tried to find it here locally in the states about a year ago and sadly it was no longer available! A
colleague of mine from the UK gave me my 1st bottle, I beleive it was made with black treacle.

Vinny D

That was a great Ale! I tried to find it here locally in the states about a year ago and sadly it was no longer available! A
colleague of mine from the UK gave me my 1st bottle, I beleive it was made with black treacle.

Vinny D
You are right, it's the best malt extract brew I made, must must remake it. Maybe with a bit of an all grain tweak. But I'm sure that black treacle was the key to it.

Absolutely, the black treacle gives that ale it's unique aroma and flavor!

Vinny D
I wonder what yeast I'd use these days? I think back in the 80's it was just a foil packet of brewers yeast. There wasn't any real selection I don't think. Maybe there was a named yeast from Youngs or someone else. But it's a real stretch for my memory.

I wonder what yeast I'd use these days? I think back in the 80's it was just a foil packet of brewers yeast. There wasn't any real selection I don't think. Maybe there was a named yeast from Youngs or someone else. But it's a real stretch for my memory.
I began homebrewing in the 90s. The yeast that was available at the time was Edme's. It is still around under the guises of Lalbrew Windsor and ESB/London, Munton's classic, and Safale S-33. Eventually I moved on to Safale 04, which was a quantum leap in quality. And, believe it or not, it's still a pretty good choice for English Ales.

Last edited:
I began homebrewing in the 90s. The yeast that was available at the time was Edme's. It is still around under the guises of Lalbrew Windsor and ESB/London, Munton's classic, and Safale S-33. Eventually I moved on to Safale 04, which was a quantum leap in quality. And, believe it or not, it's still a pretty good choice for English Ales.

I don't remember the brand under the John Bull can lids, but I do remember Doric in addition to the variations of Muntons you listed.

Thank you for relighting the synapses it was Edme yeast I was thinking of.
I've got some esb yeast that needs resuscitating so I'll use that and try to remember to update.

So is brewing dropping off because there is so much good beer available in stores now? I remember being excited if a store had St. Pauli Girl.

I would hate to be unable to brew. I am having a glass of my stout right now, and there is no way I can find anything like it anywhere. They must drink it in heaven. I got so lucky with this recipe.

People have asked for it, so I will post it, but my guess is that no one will be as excited about it as I am.

4.0 oz Rice Hulls
5 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter
1 lbs 8.0 oz Oats, Flaked
1 lbs Munich Malt
8.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt
8.0 oz Roasted Barley
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] - Boil 60.0 min 23.1 IBU's
0.90 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.60 %] - Boil 30.0 min 16.0 IBU's
1.00 oz Crystal [2.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min 5.9 IBU's
Safale American #US-05

I live on a farm, and I use whatever comes out of the well. All I can tell you for sure is that there is a lot of dissolved limestone in it.

The notes say I gave it 30 minutes at 124 and 60 minutes at 155. They say it started at 1.055, and I kegged at 1.016 because it was not moving. I put it on beer gas, so I use a beer gas tap. I think it's at 32 psi. I used a 1-liter starter. It looks like I came out a little under 5 gallons.

This beer always seems to get dryer in the keg.

I live on a farm, and I use whatever comes out of the well. All I can tell you for sure is that there is a lot of dissolved limestone in it.

The notes say I gave it 30 minutes at 124 and 60 minutes at 155. They say it started at 1.055, and I kegged at 1.016 because it was not moving. I put it on beer gas, so I use a beer gas tap. I think it's at 32 psi. I used a 1-liter starter. It looks like I came out a little under 5 gallons.

This beer always seems to get dryer in the keg.
Thank you for the info.

It would be neat to hear that people got good results with this. If you like Guinness, but you want something richer, this will do it. It's sort of like a low-ABV Old Rasputin. It seems a little heavy right after kegging, and after a week or so, it's much better.

I generally use nothing but Kent Goldings, but last time, I put the Crystal in, and the beer was still great.

I have noticed in Canada homebrew stores are closing shop. This has been going on in the US for a few years now. I brewed way more during covid than I ever did. Nothing else to do, no where to go. Maybe it is the cost of equipment and ingredients that is the cause of it. Shipping is very expensive here in Canada. Like double what it used to be. I can drive 90 minutes to the closest homebrew store and drive home way cheaper than what they charge for shipping. Times have definitely changed. Started in 1979.
Brew HQ out of Nova Scotia is free shipping over $100.
I started making wine for the wife during Covid and started making beer not long after that. Made a few extract kits before switching to all grain.

In the intro for this week’s Brulosophy episode, Marshall said they’re losing patrons at a higher rate than they’re gaining them. He mentions some reasons too, as reported by those cancelling.

More evidence that the hobby is a in a decline.

Back