American Wheat Beer Hazy Cheapskate - Miraculix forbidden Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miraculix

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Cheers everyone,

This beer came out beautiful! It is not clear, but this is nowadays oviously not a bug, but a feature. It has all the mouthfeel, all the hoppyness and all the flavour that one needs in a good pale ale. It is super pale, probably the palest beer i have brewed so far. It looks a bit like lemonade and the Sabro hops really make it the most crushable and enjoyable thing I have brewed since ages.

But I might have violated all of them (useless) German beer rules aka Reinheitsgebot to brew this and ended up with a marvelous result. I always thought... what if...... why not... ehm..... how much adjunct can a standard pilsner malt convert? Right... it has to be at least about 1/3 of the grist. Ok, so why not brew a beer with about 70% adjunct? Maybe... wheat? Maybe going dirt cheap and using wheat flour (biab only, sorry folks, you do not want to sparge a grist like this :D ... maybe you can get away with flaked wheat if not biab and a big load of hulls).

No, protein rest, no cereal mash, easy going....

70% adjunct....Why not? ....Because it is evil...... ok, no it is not. So why not?

Because people say so!!!!

Honestly, why not!?

...... I have read on the internet that adjuncts eat puppies and inhale kittens for breakfast!

........ ok......

LET'S DO THIS!

IMG_20221126_225441.jpg

Title: Hazy Cheapskate

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Adjunct madness
Boil Time: 45 min

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 5.52%
IBU (tinseth): 35
SRM (morey): 3.18
Mash pH: 5.62

FERMENTABLES:
Pilsner (33.3%)
Wheat flour or flaked wheat or spelt flour or flaked spelt (66.7%)

HOPS:
Sabro, Type: Pellet, AA: Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 25
4 g Sabro / litre hop stand, IBU: 10 (30 minutes at about 80c)
4 g Sabro / litre - Sabro, Dry Hop for 2 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 68 C, Time: 45 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
Treat your water so that you have a medium minerally base, no alcalinity! Balanced chloride/sulfate ratio. Shoot for about 120ppm each.

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 83%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 19 C

I did not know sabro before, but sabro is definitely the hop for this type of beer. A bit of juicyness, a beat of creaminess, damn this beer is DELICIOUS. Seriously one of my best beers, and such a result with such a grist.... I do not know what to say... brew it!

Cheers!

M

Last edited:
Cheers everyone,

This beer came out beautiful! It is not clear, but this is nowadays oviously not a bug, but a feature. It has all the mouthfeel, all the hoppyness and all the flavour that one needs in a good pale ale. It is super pale, probably the palest beer i have brewed so far. It looks a bit like lemonade and the Sabro hops really make it the most crushable and enjoyable thing I have brewed since ages.

But I might have violated all of them (useless) German beer rules aka Reinheitsgebot to brew this and ended up with a marvelous result. I always thought... what if...... why not... ehm..... how much adjunct can a standard pilsner malt convert? Right... it has to be at least about 1/3 of the grist. Ok, so why not brew a beer with about 70% adjunct? Maybe... wheat? Maybe going dirt cheap and using wheat flour (biab only, sorry folks, you do not want to sparge a grist like this :D ... maybe you can get away with flaked wheat if not biab and a big load of hulls).

No, protein rest, no cereal mash, easy going....

70% adjunct....Why not? ....Because it is evil...... ok, no it is not. So why not?

Because people say so!!!!

Honestly, why not!?

...... I have read on the internet that adjuncts eat puppies and inhale kittens for breakfast!

........ ok......

LET'S DO THIS!

View attachment 792764

Title: Hazy Cheapskate

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: Adjunct madness
Boil Time: 45 min

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.051
Final Gravity: 1.009
ABV (standard): 5.52%
IBU (tinseth): 35
SRM (morey): 3.18
Mash pH: 5.62

FERMENTABLES:
Pilsner (33.3%)
Wheat flour or flaked wheat or spelt flour or flaked spelt (66.7%)

HOPS:
Sabro, Type: Pellet, AA: Use: Boil for 45 min, IBU: 25
4 g Sabro / litre hop stand, IBU: 10 (30 minutes at about 80c)
4 g Sabro / litre - Sabro, Dry Hop for 2 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 68 C, Time: 45 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
Treat your water so that you have a medium minerally base, no alcalinity! Balanced chloride/sulfate ratio. Shoot for about 120ppm each.

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 83%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 19 C

I did not know sabro before, but sabro is definitely the hop for this type of beer. A bit of juicyness, a beat of creaminess, damn this beer is DELICIOUS. Seriously one of my best beers, and such a result with such a grist.... I do not know what to say... brew it!

Cheers!

M
Bravo! Looks and sounds delicious. Sabro is one of my favorite hops. It has a nice bright, fruity, hoppiness to it that is really enjoyable.

Something Clean and sabro. Otherwise it's something different.
Ah, thats going to be tricky
Most neutral I got is bry-97, but no hops that come close to Sabro.
But still, if the idea of flour works, then I may try something wheat, knowing it will be a total different beer from yours. But experimenting is nice anyway ;)

Ah, thats going to be tricky
Most neutral I got is bry-97, but no hops that come close to Sabro.
But still, if the idea of flour works, then I may try something wheat, knowing it will be a total different beer from yours. But experimenting is nice anyway ;)
I am 100% sure that this grist would work very well with a Belgian yeast and noble hops, it is a blank canvas with some wheatyness :).

Bry 97 should also do the job! It's almost the same as us05 if you ask me. And hop wise.... Williamette? Cascade? Mosaik? These should do the thing.

Edit: Amarillo would be my second choice, of course! If sabro is not possible to get.

I brewed something similar about a year ago. It was a 1 gallon batch with 40% whole wheat flour, and Fleischmann's bread yeast. I remember it being just okay.

I will need to try this again with a different yeast. Maybe a batch using S-04 slurry from an Irish red I currently have fermenting, and Belma hops I got free from my homebrew club.

Good to know about Sabro, I need to brew a few IPA's to make space for more hops, but will consider it next time I order hops.

The grist seems witbier-ish to me. And Witbier is my wife's favorite (well, really only beer she will drink--wine person). I've had Sabro in the freezer waiting for a project, so... this might go into the queue! Whether or not to switch in WLP-400 yeast is the question.
My idea would be either have a Belgian yeast character or have sabro hops. These two wouldn't go well together. This here is basically an APA with a hefty dose of adjuncts. A Belgian yeast wouldn't work here.

You could lower the bitterness to 15 ibus for your wife, she'd probably like it that way. The sabro hops are so pleasant, and the wheat grist is creamy wheaty, I could totally see this one work with low ibus. Just keep the hop stand and the dry hop as is.

Maybe even leave out all of the bittering hops!

I've had the exact same thought two years ago and made a beer 50/50 pilsner and wheat flour. I went the Belgian way though and used some Belgian yeast (I believe Westmalle from a bottle). It was a surprisingly good beer that was dirt cheap.

CTZ?
I was thinking in the line of tettnang/tradition & saaz ;)

Do you think ths type of flour will make a difference (bread/AP/whole wheat)?
If i would have the choice, I would use probably whole wheat and would definitely stay away from flour with added vitamins or being self raising.

Otherwise, I think it probably doesn't matter much tbh. It might taste slightly different in direct comparison, but probably only a bit different without being better or worse in any way.

Saaz is a bit too aggressive for this type of beer, at least at higher hopping rates. Up to 20 ibus probably fine, but more hops would dominate the flavour too much for my liking. That's why I recommended ctz or magnum, if it shall be something neutral/noble.

Do you remember what hops you used?
Yes I used Magnum to about 10-15 IBU (gravity shot up way more than expected, so I'm not sure on utilisation). I also added a few pepper corns, coriander and orange peel at 10 minutes. Yeast was T-58 and that was the only thing I'd change. I really don't like that yeast one bit, but it's probably one of the cheapest I can buy except for bread yeast.

I also really enjoy CTZ as a late hop btw.

Yes I used Magnum to about 10-15 IBU (gravity shot up way more than expected, so I'm not sure on utilisation). I also added a few pepper corns, coriander and orange peel at 10 minutes. Yeast was T-58 and that was the only thing I'd change. I really don't like that yeast one bit, but it's probably one of the cheapest I can buy except for bread yeast.

I also really enjoy CTZ as a late hop btw.
I've yet to try a ctz only hop forward beer. In the future I'm going to check this with a simple malt bill. Maybe even a smash.

Right, she's cooling down now before pitching her on voss trub :)
Brown flour / pilsner malt
Saaz & styrian at 30 minutes (they needed finishing) and a couple slices ginger.
OG 12.0 brix

Plenty dough balls. Need to add this combo much more careful to the water. It also holds more water, more difficult to drain.
Normally I dunk the bag in water & squeeze a number of times. That didn't look effective here, so did full volume mash, no sparge.
Gonna be a small batch and I'll update in about 2 weeks (it's kveik, so it's fast. I do 1 week ferment and assume 1 week conditioning)
Thanks for the idea @Miraculix

Right, she's cooling down now before pitching her on voss trub :)
Brown flour / pilsner malt
Saaz & styrian at 30 minutes (they needed finishing) and a couple slices ginger.
OG 12.0 brix

Plenty dough balls. Need to add this combo much more careful to the water. It also holds more water, more difficult to drain.
Normally I dunk the bag in water & squeeze a number of times. That didn't look effective here, so did full volume mash, no sparge.
Gonna be a small batch and I'll update in about 2 weeks (it's kveik, so it's fast. I do 1 week ferment and assume 1 week conditioning)
Thanks for the idea @Miraculix
I've also had these massive dough balls but they disappeared completely after fifteen minutes in the mash, the enzymes did their magic.

I think your combination sounds interesting, especially with the ginger. Let's see how it goes!

Looks promising! Little tip for next time, limit the headspace. Squeeze the pet bottle when filled, so that there's no air left, when capping. The squeezed part will be filled shortly with co2 and there will be nearly no o2 to oxidise your beer.

Thanks
I thought you shouldn't fill them too full?
I agree, one on the left could have been a little fuller, but one on the right seems pretty OK to me?

Luckily it's a beer that's going to be carbonated and drunk quite fast

Thanks
I thought you shouldn't fill them too full?
I agree, one on the left could have been a little fuller, but one on the right seems pretty OK to me?

Luckily it's a beer that's going to be carbonated and drunk quite fast
Oxygen in the headspace does all the damage when bottling. Glas bottles, 0.5 to 1cm headspace max. Plastic bottles can be squeezed to remove all the air when screwing on the cap. The co2 from bottle conditioning will "unsqueeze" the bottle later and you will have a headspace filled with co2 instead of air.

Just brewed a 1 gallon batch
1 lb all purpose flour
12 oz Great Western 2 row
3.5 g Belma hops (10.3%AA) FWH
Small orange peel clementine I think 2 min before flameout
30 ml S-04 slurry

Approximately 30 minute mash
20 minute boil
O.G. 1.050
Collected a little over 1 gallon into the fermenter

I will update once it is finished.

Carbonation is coming on nicely.
I figure another 2-3 days, then 2 in fridge and it's testing time ;)
Yeast is starting to settle out nicely. Initial impression is that this beer is not gping to be much more hazy than some of my others

Carbonation is coming on nicely.
I figure another 2-3 days, then 2 in fridge and it's testing time ;)
Yeast is starting to settle out nicely. Initial impression is that this beer is not gping to be much more hazy than some of my others
Yes it's not as hazy as one might suspect it to be with that amount of adjuncts in it. But it's still hazy. I like it.

This beer is probably even better with 15-20 ibus tbh. It has this smooth wheaty taste which goes very well with low bitterness in my mind.

IMG_20221218_132535.jpg

Lot of debris in the bottle

But still a full glass and nice foam.
Not that hazy, actually. A bit fruity, with just a hint of ginger.
Actually a surprisingly nice summer beer (luckily I'm in the Southern hemisphere)
IMG_20221218_132630.jpg

It's carbonated for 6 days, and only one day in the fridge.
And I will make it again ;)
Thanks @Miraculix !!!

View attachment 808116
Lot of debris in the bottle

But still a full glass and nice foam.
Not that hazy, actually. A bit fruity, with just a hint of ginger.
Actually a surprisingly nice summer beer (luckily I'm in the Southern hemisphere)
View attachment 808117

It's carbonated for 6 days, and only one day in the fridge.
And I will make it again ;)
Thanks @Miraculix !!!
You're most welcome!

Thanks for sharing your results!

I'm going to do this again soon, except it is no longer hot enough for Voss, so I have to find a different yeast to play with.
One thing I am going to try: I'll make the flour into a bit of a batter. Reduce strike water amount and increase temperature. That should decrease clumps. At least that's what I hope ;)

I'm going to do this again soon, except it is no longer hot enough for Voss, so I have to find a different yeast to play with.
One thing I am going to try: I'll make the flour into a bit of a batter. Reduce strike water amount and increase temperature. That should decrease clumps. At least that's what I hope ;)
I had loads of big clumps which would not want to dissolve at all. Every single one was gone after fifteen minutes at 65c. The magic of the enzymes!

Back