Hazy beer went from hazy to brown why?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA92

Reaction score
I brewed a hazy ipa, i kegged it on Saturday. Poured a little to see what it looks like and it looked great. Turned co2 up so I can carb in about 4-5 days. For sh*ts and giggles went and poured a little for tonight and it was brown. Why did this happen?

Attachments

• 923ABDB5-C65A-41EE-AD48-0C14FA0693C6.jpeg
    923ABDB5-C65A-41EE-AD48-0C14FA0693C6.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • 0617BDFB-3B94-4779-8D7D-163B896AE51D.jpeg
    0617BDFB-3B94-4779-8D7D-163B896AE51D.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome to HBT.

Unfortunately what you have there is oxidized beer . O2 is the enemy after fermentation. Especially with hoppy beers.
Yeah, I’m wondering why did it happen? I did a close transfer. And the pic on the left was the first beer after kegging, and the beer in the right was the second beer today.

Yup, that poor thing has gone to Hazy Heaven. The style is one of the most trying to get a respectable shelf life because it is so highly reactive to post-fermentation oxygen exposure.

Tips: avoid the use of "secondary" fermentation vessels as that racking can be all it takes to end up brown. Don't cold-crash without providing some means to avoid sucking oxygen into the fermentor as the head space chills and contracts. When transferring to a keg the receiving keg must be purged to near zero O2 ppms, and a good way to do it is to totally fill a sealed keg with no-rinse sanitizer then push it all out using CO2...

Cheers!

These pictures are 24 hours apart? I've not seen such dramatic oxidation happen in that time frame before.

Pour a few more pints and see if they look the same.

Hazy's are extremely challenging. I make them all the time (my last 6 of 7 brews). I take every precaution to avoid oxygen and my last one turned on me between 5 and 6 weeks. Even if I drink it all before that time frame I purposely leave some so I can see when it goes bad.

I built a dry hopper so not to expose when drop hopping, closed transfer, fill receiving keg full with sanitizer mix and push it out, changed the lines in my kegerator to EVA barrier. There's still other things I'm sure I'm missing....all because I'm obsessed with making a great Hazy IPA!

Hazy's are extremely challenging. I make them all the time (my last 6 of 7 brews). I take every precaution to avoid oxygen and my last one turned on me between 5 and 6 weeks. Even if I drink it all before that time frame I purposely leave some so I can see when it goes bad.

I built a dry hopper so not to expose when drop hopping, closed transfer, fill receiving keg full with sanitizer mix and push it out, changed the lines in my kegerator to EVA barrier. There's still other things I'm sure I'm missing....all because I'm obsessed with making a great Hazy IPA!
I don't brew them nearly that often - maybe 3 or 4 per year for me. I've been fermenting and serving mine from the same keg with great results. Nothing fancy on the dry hop - just open the lid and gently lower in my dry hop bag. The longest I've had one in the keg was 4 weeks and had no signs of oxidation.

That's a pretty dramatic change for only 24 hours. What struck me is that you poured the first glass on kegging, and the second (brown) glass after you started force carbing. How much trub (gunk from the bottom of fermenter) got in the keg? If you are force carbing through the liquid-out post (as many do), the co2 would have stirred all that gunk back up from the bottom into the beer, possibly causing that brown color. I wouldn't suspect oxidation that fast, but that may just be me. I would let the keg settle a couple of days, then try again. What did the 'brown' glass taste like? Oxidation has been described as a 'wet cardboard' taste. If the beer tasted very yeasty, slightly phenolic (think old bandaids), that's trub.

That's a pretty dramatic change for only 24 hours. What struck me is that you poured the first glass on kegging, and the second (brown) glass after you started force carbing. How much trub (gunk from the bottom of fermenter) got in the keg? If you are force carbing through the liquid-out post (as many do), the co2 would have stirred all that gunk back up from the bottom into the beer, possibly causing that brown color. I wouldn't suspect oxidation that fast, but that may just be me. I would let the keg settle a couple of days, then try again. What did the 'brown' glass taste like? Oxidation has been described as a 'wet cardboard' taste. If the beer tasted very yeasty, slightly phenolic (think old bandaids), that's trub.
That's not trub.. You can actually see in the first pic the beginnings of oxidation. We've all seen oxidized hazy's before and that's exactly what the 2nd pic is. As sure as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, that's oxidized. You bet your bottom dollar, that's oxidized.. I want to throw more puns in but I can't think of any right now

To the OP, look into using ascorbic acid in the mash. I haven't had an oxidized hazy since I started using it

That's not trub.. You can actually see in the first pic the beginnings of oxidation. We've all seen oxidized hazy's before and that's exactly what the 2nd pic is. As sure as the sun rises in the east and sets in the west, that's oxidized. You bet your bottom dollar, that's oxidized.. I want to throw more puns in but I can't think of any right now

To the OP, look into using ascorbic acid in the mash. I haven't had an oxidized hazy since I started using it
I add ascorbic to the keg when racking, and I feel it's made a big difference in all my beer. Could be anecdotal, but it's cheap as hell, so why not?

It's unfortunate that the OP hasn't been back. It would be nice to know if the whole keg is like that photo or just the beer in the serving line.

I add ascorbic to the keg when racking, and I feel it's made a big difference in all my beer. Could be anecdotal, but it's cheap as hell, so why not?
You may be right. Using ascorbic acid in the mash might be doing diddily squat but my beers are pouring just as bright orange as they were in the fermenter.

I still find it odd to have complete brown oxidation in 24 hours, with a closed transfer; unless there's something else in OP's process that we don't know. I'm not trying to start an argument, and yes I know oxidation can happen quickly if you mishandle beer. I guess we need more input from OP. I've been brewing an NEIPA for a couple of years now, and even before I had the capability of closed transfers I've never had one oxidize that bad. As someone noted above, maybe OP did a secondary which WOULD introduce the oxygen necessary to cause that.

I still find it odd to have complete brown oxidation in 24 hours, with a closed transfer; unless there's something else in OP's process that we don't know. I'm not trying to start an argument, and yes I know oxidation can happen quickly if you mishandle beer. I guess we need more input from OP. I've been brewing an NEIPA for a couple of years now, and even before I had the capability of closed transfers I've never had one oxidize that bad. As someone noted above, maybe OP did a secondary which WOULD introduce the oxygen necessary to cause that.
Agreed. I auto-siphon my neipas into the keg, and I've never had oxidation like this. And I've had some mishaps during the transfer that would introduce extra O2.

I did a hazy, beer gun into bottles…4 weeks later at a beer competition it turned purple. Gave some away and they left it in their car in Florida heat, turned purple. On tap it was fine except for the first pour, was purple. So I brewed another batch and kegged it, co2 closed system transfer.
I have it on tap in my garage tap. The first pour is always purple, the rest looks like this. I’m thinking heat vs oxidation. Thoughts?.

Attachments

• IMG_3256.jpeg
    IMG_3256.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
I did a hazy, beer gun into bottles…4 weeks later at a beer competition it turned purple. Gave some away and they left it in their car in Florida heat, turned purple. On tap it was fine except for the first pour, was purple. So I brewed another batch and kegged it, co2 closed system transfer.
I have it on tap in my garage tap. The first pour is always purple, the rest looks like this. I’m thinking heat vs oxidation. Thoughts?.

Oxidation. That said, the higher the temperature, the faster the oxidation reactions.

ETA: I've seen "first pour dark beer" in keezer setups where the lines were at essentially the same temperature as the keg. Beer lines are un underappreciated source of O2 ingress.

Yup, that poor thing has gone to Hazy Heaven. The style is one of the most trying to get a respectable shelf life because it is so highly reactive to post-fermentation oxygen exposure.

Tips: avoid the use of "secondary" fermentation vessels as that racking can be all it takes to end up brown. Don't cold-crash without providing some means to avoid sucking oxygen into the fermentor as the head space chills and contracts. When transferring to a keg the receiving keg must be purged to near zero O2 ppms, and a good way to do it is to totally fill a sealed keg with no-rinse sanitizer then push it all out using CO2...

Cheers!
I have started doing the sanitizer push thru with my keg. I use that as a reason to push the Starsan thru the keg lines and hopefully do a bit of sanitizing of the lines and the tap.

Back