Hazelnut Extract - when to use?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phan71

Reaction score
I bought the Rogue Hazelnut Brown Nectar kit, and it came with Hazelnut extract. The directions that came with the kit (which are generic directions, and not specific to this kit) say that if the kit came with flavor extract, to add it at the end of the boil.

However, the bottle itself says "use in ferment or finished product". So which is it? Should I put it in at the end of the boil, or add it to the secondary?

(I've never brewed with any flavor extract before.)

Thanks.

If the kit said use it in the boil, then use it in the boil.

Flavor extracts usually always say "use in secondary". It all depends on what you're going for though. Things like that can be used anywhere in the process. Personally, I would use half of the recommended dose in the secondary instead of the boil. Extracts tend to be very potent, so the boil probably boils away some of it.

Let me know how this turns out. I just picked up the same kit this weekend and the guy at my LHBS said that when he had this kit, using the whole bottle of hazelnut made it too strong in the beer. I am going to brew my soon, but will only go with half the bottle in the secondary and see how that does.

Back