Haze question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bad Bubba

Reaction score
I brewed a blonde ale, kegged it, added gelatin fining, but it ended up with a haze. It looked like a hazy IPA. It tasted fine. Now it has been in the keezer for couple of months and almost gone and last night I poured a glass and it was crystal clear. Tasted the same but I was wondering what is happening. Anyone experience that?

You said it was clear after being held cold for a couple months. The cold makes chill haze form; once formed it will slowly precipitate (fall out of solution), normally a few weeks will do it if it is undisturbed. This happens from top to bottom, that is the top of the keg will clear first, but with a normal keg (drawing from the bottom of the keg) you will get hazy beer until the whole keg is clear.

I brewed a blonde ale, kegged it, added gelatin fining, but it ended up with a haze. It looked like a hazy IPA. It tasted fine. Now it has been in the keezer for couple of months and almost gone and last night I poured a glass and it was crystal clear. Tasted the same but I was wondering what is happening. Anyone experience that?
Was the beer ice cold when you added the gelatin? It only works if the beer has been chilled before adding.

As you’re getting to your last few pours of a keg the beer will be much clearer. As the beer sits could proteins yeast and polyphenols will floc out. The materials with higher molecular weights drop out quickly, those with lower weights take longer and some won’t completely floc out but they will drop to the lower portion of the volume(its gravity maaaaaan) which leaves the upper most gallon or half gallon very clear when it finally makes it to the dip tube.

I'm curious as to how you dissolved and added your Gelatin.

If the gelatin was boiled it will be denatured, and on the keg side the beer needs to be chilled to below 10c before adding the gelatin to the keg.

Yes, the beer was cold when the gelatin was added and I did not boil it. I use gelatin on most of my ales. I think doggie and dgallo are correct. Good to know in the future.

The cause of the haze is unknown to me at this time. I guess I will enjoy my last few pints of crystal clear ale.

Yes, the beer was cold when the gelatin was added and I did not boil it. I use gelatin on most of my ales. I think doggie and dgallo are correct. Good to know in the future.

The cause of the haze is unknown to me at this time. I guess I will enjoy my last few pints of crystal clear ale.
If I recall gelatin does not bind with + charged particles, whirlfloc does that. Gelatin binds with -charged particles. So for crystal clear beers you need to use both and should not dryhop during fermentation because that will cause a polyphenol and protein reaction where they bind with each other

Latest posts

Back