Having trouble with my hefs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scone

Reaction score
I seem to encounter a recurring theme with my brewing, I can never got 'enough' clove/banana flavor out of my yeast when I make wheat beers. I have done several different variations, and even though I always use the correct yeast, the flavor of the beer is almost identical to how I imagine it would taste if I just used US-05 or some other fairly neutral ale strain. Anyone else have trouble with this?

My process is pretty much always single infusion mash, 2x batch sparge, and no-chill. I oxygenate by using a paint-stirring wand on a drill and I vortex the chilled wort for at least 60 seconds before pitching yeast. I have done starters and not, and it doesn't seem to difference. I've also used WLP300, 351, and just this last time SafBrew WB-06. I've made Jamil Z's hefe twice, weizenbock twice, and a variety of lighter 50% german wheat recipes as bases for Berliners, and the clove/banana is always missing.

I have also always fermented at the very lowest range for the strain of yeast, sometimes a degree or two lower (so low 60s generally speaking), as I've read this is supposed to accentuate the clove character. Am I fermenting too cold? Should I be doing a protein rest to promote the ester/phenol profile? I'm curious if anyone else has had this problem and how they solved it.

EdWort's hef recipe, fermented with Wyeast 3068 at 66F, is always a banana bomb for me. The banana does diminish quickly once kegged, though.

I've never taken great care to oxygenate the wort.

Look up a ferulic acid rest to enhance clove. Haven't tried it myself though.

Ferulic acid rest, slight under pitch of yeast, and ferment a few degrees warmer, or near the upper temp recommendation for more banana.

Wyeast 3068, with a ferulic acid rest gives me a balanced clove to banana aroma (I just checked my log) book at 65 F. Next time I'm going to 68 F to see If I can accentuate the banana esters more.

I should give 380 a shot, maybe i'll like it more, the description sure sounds nice... The main reason I never bothered with the protein rest was Kaiser's post here http://braukaiser.com/blog/blog/2010/06/04/how-much-effect-does-a-ferulic-acid-rest-have/

I know Live Oak (or I don't know but I strongly suspect) does one, but they also use undermodified malt... Do all of you do a ferulic acid rest when brewing hefs?

I might try aerating a bit less next time too...

I was able to get more banana/clove out of wlp300 by under pitching AND fermenting warmer (up to 72). I found 62 - 65 to be too clean for my liking, with 70 being about the sweet spot.

Back