Having too much C02 and foam when opening the bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterturtle

Reaction score
Need advice of all grain experts with the problem i have: there is too much foam ( and CO2 ) when i open bottles.
The beer taste is good, just too much foam. This topic was heavily discussed, but still need to figure out few things as the explanations that i saw were not relevant to my case.

I use all-grain steps from Kelheim Hefeweizen recipe. I start prepare mash with 30 min at 37C, then 20min at 50C, then 60min at 63C. Cooking wort time 60-70 min with one hop addition after 30 min of cooking.

I don’t add sugar at any step. After wort is cooked, I take 2L of cooked wort ( before adding yeasts ) and keep those 2 litters in freezer. At the bottle day, I take out the freeze wort, bring it to correct temp add another package of yeasts, mix with fermented wort and then bottle. ( original recipe called those 2L of wort as “speise” )

I keep fermentation till there is almost 0 activity of yeasts ( about 5-6 days )

I don’t siphon debris from hops when i bottle beer

I clean and sterile bottles before filling them with the beer. As i follow all procedures, the chances that some bacteria exists in the bottles are almost 0

What can be wrong that i still have too much foam and CO2?
I suspect I do some mistake with “speise” and it contains too much sugar.
If i modify cooking / mash preparation times - will it make difference, like "speise" will contain less sugar? Is the problem not related speise? like temperature may be?

Please advise

Hmmz..assuming a 20L case:

2 liter wort for 20 L equals till 4 gravity points in a "random" wheat beer (assuming OG=1050 and FG=1010).

Hence, in the same calculation to raise 4 gravity points would be around 200g sugar.

A wheat should have around 3.3 – 4.5 Volume CO2.

If using 12,6 g/L sugar you get 3.87 Volume CO2 at 20´C (assuming 0.88 Volume CO2 at 20´C)!

12,6x20L = 252g, hence, you are not using to much wort for bottling as you are nearer the lower point by 2L equalling around 200g sugar!

So unless you have way to much partciles in the wort (might try cool crasch the fermentation-part prior to fermetation) I dont see what is wrong! The above calculation in a way "prove" you are not over-carbing I geuss!

Not sure it helps you! But a interesting way or carbonation.......what is the idea of using wort/"speise" and not sugar? More flavor or?

The "speise" idea was an advice by that recipe that i used. The recipe was based on the Germany Beer Purity Law, where you can't use any sugar. If i get it right, then many brewers do the same tricks, just instead of adding wort (that was previously freeze) they simply add fresh cooked wort from some other batch ( for the same beer type )

Thank you very much for the calculations.. I think it gave me good direction.

The water quantities I used

I start with 10L of degree 37C for the mix about 5.32KG of malt. Keep this 30 min
Then add 3L of 50C water and keep 20 min.
Then add 2L of 63C water and keep 60min

The water additions was not part of the recipe! I decided it on my own.
The original recipe only claimed to start with water-to-grist ration of 2:1, but it wasn't clear to me how and when add more water.
Sot this about 15L of water for mashing steps..

I then use about 12 L of Sparge water.

I think the overall wort that i cook is about 20L, as you initially assumed

Back