Having a great time w/ first brew session

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gregg Meyer

Reaction score
i have been waiting now 10 days in fermentation stage the one way valve is working at about once every 38 seconds and so i am right on track. On the 21st of march i am going to take the first brew to work for a lunch pot luck for my employees. i am being coached by a guy who has brewed for 25 years. My fisrt session he was out of town but i guess i did ok so far. I am going to move the first session to a secondary firmenter to further lose the yeast at the bottom. i am going to keg the beer and then ultimately transport it to work the morning of the big lunch. I'm going to also smoke up some pulled pork for one hell of,a good time.
i think i will do asecond batch as soon as I move the beer to the second fermenter. That way i will start building some experience and some good beer to go along with my sessions. i the keg systems look like they are so great compared to bottling. i am fortunate that i have a refridge dedicated to beer and
BBQ.

Thanks guys for the help 9 days ago for my first session.
Gregg,
l

Sounds like your off to a great start! How long do you plan to wait to rack it to secondary? I've made the mistake in the past of waiting to long, and the beer actually got a sour taste. In time all that sediment on the bottom can start to spoil, especially if the temp gets above 70ish. If it's been fermenting for 10 days now and it looks clear, in my opinion you could go ahead at any time and rack it to secondary or even skip it altogether and keg/bottle. I brewed ales for the first 5 years without doing a secondary and had no major problems with sediment.
Cheers
Sean

The sediment is about an inch anda quarter. My mentor said that if i was wanting to transport that the secondary would be the way to so that very little sediment would be in the brew and I would not get any frowns by the people drinking the stuff thinking"what the H*%$ is that stuff in the beer?? It would be pretty damn clear and their would be little chance of cloudy beer for the uneducated. So off to the secondary for me. Tomorrow it will be 13 days for the firmentation. I will rack it tomorrow eve. Then wait one week and rack into the keg and let her force carbinate. I hope it is good, should be. I have a great teacher. His beer is very impressive. He does partial mash, is it called full mash? or all grain? anyway his stuff is real nice.

Thanks

G,

Back