Having a bottle capper around rules!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hell Brew

Reaction score
I just opened a 22oz bottle of Hog Heaven and poured a small glass. A few minutes later my brother calls and says he is coming to pick me up to go eat. I look at my full bottle of beer and try to figure out what to do with it, and suddenly I remember I have caps and a capper. Problem solved.:mug:

Be careful with this. I've re-capped previously bottled beer and the next day it tasted crappy. My theory is all of the extra headspace caused oxidation.

not oxidation, but some co2 will probably come out of solution and fill the headspace.

You all need to go by the brewery and have some Uberschwien....dry hopped Hog Heaven. Oh, and you can always have some Purgatory Piglet too...smaller HH.

I was in a hurry to leave for work one morning and didn't have time to eat breakfast at home. I knew I had cereal at the office but no milk. My Nalgene was in the dishwasher and I didn't want to bring the entire gallon jug. What to do?

I looked at my stash of homebrew bottles and quickly filled one up with milk and capped it!

I did get some funny looks when I pulled out the brown glass bottle at the office though :fro:

I've used mine before like that...some friends and I bought some bottles of high-end Eau de Vie (French Fruit Brandy) and did a dinner/tasting. At the end, the bottles were still substantially full (one can only drink so much room-temp brandy), so we divvied them up into 12oz bottles and I capped them.

Hell Brew said:
I just opened a 22oz bottle of Hog Heaven and poured a small glass. A few minutes later my brother calls and says he is coming to pick me up to go eat. I look at my full bottle of beer and try to figure out what to do with it, and suddenly I remember I have caps and a capper. Problem solved.:mug:
It was only a 22oz bottle. Unless my brother lived next door I would have just killed it quick. :cross:

JoeRags said:
In CT its legal for passengers to have open containers. :D

Ha you just discovered the ultimate trick for drunk drivers. Keep a capper and some caps in the car, and if you get pulled over, quickly cap your bottle. "But you see officer, I couldn't have been drinking, this bottle still has its cap on"

Of course I would absolutely NEVER advocate any kind of drinking and driving in real life, but it's funny in concept.

chris.

CallMeZoot said:
Ha you just discovered the ultimate trick for drunk drivers. Keep a capper and some caps in the car, and if you get pulled over, quickly cap your bottle. "But you see officer, I couldn't have been drinking, this bottle still has its cap on"

Of course I would absolutely NEVER advocate any kind of drinking and driving in real life, but it's funny in concept.

chris.

Actually if you keep the cap in your hand the whole time if can be pushed back on to the top of the bottle, back into the six pack and your golden. BUt who would drink right out of the bottle anyways.

That brings the issue or question of carrying empties in your car, say, from a family gathering, where you brought your brew and are carting empties home.

In case of a stop, do you:

- calmly explain your endeavour..?

- have tangible proof that you are brewing, whatever this may be (empty Nottingham yeast pack!)

beergears said:
That brings the issue or question of carrying empties in your car, say, from a family gathering, where you brought your brew and are carting empties home.

In case of a stop, do you:

- calmly explain your endeavour..?

- have tangible proof that you are brewing, whatever this may be (empty Nottingham yeast pack!)

Put them in the trunk. As far as I know, this is legal -- people bring home bottles of wine from restaurants and parties all the time. If you have a hatchback or some kind of car with no separate trunk, it might be worth putting the bottles in a closed container (cooler, duffel bag, etc.) as far out of reach of the driver's seat as possible. I'm not sure what the letter of the law is on this, but if your empties are out of sight, a cop probably won't notice them. And if they are found, it helps that they're clearly out of your reach and enclosed -- I doubt a cop would accuse you of climbing over the back seat, unzipping a duffel bag, stashing a bottle, and then climbing back while waiting for the cop to come to your car. Worst case scenario, let a breathalyzer sort it out.

The other day I drove home from MD Big Brew Day with a 6 gallon carboy of wort seatbelted into my passenger seat. I imagined how I would answer if a cop pulled me over and asked if that was beer:

"Not yet officer, but it will be in 6 weeks"

chris.

Where I am, the only legal way to transport open alcohol is in a car. You can't carry an open container with you anywhere, but you can put it in the trunk of a car. I found that out years ago when the cops busted up a party I was at. There was no way I was getting in my car and driving away, but I had a 24 case of beer that I wasn't leaving behind either. I tried to walk out the front door with it, but the cops stopped me. I finally had to sneak out the back and wiggle through the bushes to get away with my beer. Madness. They want you to leave and then make it into an impossible situation. Can't leave the beer in the guy's house, can't drive with it, can't walk with it.

Latest posts

Back