Quantcast

Having a bottle capper around rules!

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Hell Brew

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 5, 2007
Messages
320
Reaction score
2
Location
CLear Lake TX
I just opened a 22oz bottle of Hog Heaven and poured a small glass. A few minutes later my brother calls and says he is coming to pick me up to go eat. I look at my full bottle of beer and try to figure out what to do with it, and suddenly I remember I have caps and a capper. Problem solved.:mug:
 

McKBrew

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 19, 2006
Messages
8,186
Reaction score
39
Location
Hayden
Be careful with this. I've re-capped previously bottled beer and the next day it tasted crappy. My theory is all of the extra headspace caused oxidation.
 

z987k

Well-Known Member
Joined
Feb 13, 2007
Messages
3,511
Reaction score
35
Location
Anchorage
not oxidation, but some co2 will probably come out of solution and fill the headspace.
 

ColoradoXJ13

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 9, 2006
Messages
1,257
Reaction score
26
Location
Somerville
You all need to go by the brewery and have some Uberschwien....dry hopped Hog Heaven. Oh, and you can always have some Purgatory Piglet too...smaller HH.
 

scottthorn

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 15, 2007
Messages
208
Reaction score
0
Location
STL
I was in a hurry to leave for work one morning and didn't have time to eat breakfast at home. I knew I had cereal at the office but no milk. My Nalgene was in the dishwasher and I didn't want to bring the entire gallon jug. What to do?

I looked at my stash of homebrew bottles and quickly filled one up with milk and capped it!

I did get some funny looks when I pulled out the brown glass bottle at the office though :fro:
 

JoeRags

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 24, 2006
Messages
254
Reaction score
2
Location
CT
In CT its legal for passengers to have open containers. :D
 

Evan!

Well-Known Member
Joined
Aug 9, 2006
Messages
11,835
Reaction score
107
Location
Charlottesville, VA
I've used mine before like that...some friends and I bought some bottles of high-end Eau de Vie (French Fruit Brandy) and did a dinner/tasting. At the end, the bottles were still substantially full (one can only drink so much room-temp brandy), so we divvied them up into 12oz bottles and I capped them.
 

Richo

Active Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2007
Messages
41
Reaction score
0
Hell Brew said:
I just opened a 22oz bottle of Hog Heaven and poured a small glass. A few minutes later my brother calls and says he is coming to pick me up to go eat. I look at my full bottle of beer and try to figure out what to do with it, and suddenly I remember I have caps and a capper. Problem solved.:mug:
It was only a 22oz bottle. Unless my brother lived next door I would have just killed it quick. :cross:
 

CallMeZoot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
130
Reaction score
3
JoeRags said:
In CT its legal for passengers to have open containers. :D

Ha you just discovered the ultimate trick for drunk drivers. Keep a capper and some caps in the car, and if you get pulled over, quickly cap your bottle. "But you see officer, I couldn't have been drinking, this bottle still has its cap on"

Of course I would absolutely NEVER advocate any kind of drinking and driving in real life, but it's funny in concept.

chris.
 

tbulger

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
405
Reaction score
2
Location
MA, NH
CallMeZoot said:
Ha you just discovered the ultimate trick for drunk drivers. Keep a capper and some caps in the car, and if you get pulled over, quickly cap your bottle. "But you see officer, I couldn't have been drinking, this bottle still has its cap on"

Of course I would absolutely NEVER advocate any kind of drinking and driving in real life, but it's funny in concept.

chris.
Actually if you keep the cap in your hand the whole time if can be pushed back on to the top of the bottle, back into the six pack and your golden. BUt who would drink right out of the bottle anyways.
 

beergears

Well-Known Member
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Messages
999
Reaction score
6
Location
somewhere west of Boston Harba'
That brings the issue or question of carrying empties in your car, say, from a family gathering, where you brought your brew and are carting empties home.

In case of a stop, do you:

- calmly explain your endeavour..?

- have tangible proof that you are brewing, whatever this may be (empty Nottingham yeast pack!)
 

CallMeZoot

Well-Known Member
Joined
Nov 24, 2007
Messages
130
Reaction score
3
beergears said:
That brings the issue or question of carrying empties in your car, say, from a family gathering, where you brought your brew and are carting empties home.

In case of a stop, do you:

- calmly explain your endeavour..?

- have tangible proof that you are brewing, whatever this may be (empty Nottingham yeast pack!)
Put them in the trunk. As far as I know, this is legal -- people bring home bottles of wine from restaurants and parties all the time. If you have a hatchback or some kind of car with no separate trunk, it might be worth putting the bottles in a closed container (cooler, duffel bag, etc.) as far out of reach of the driver's seat as possible. I'm not sure what the letter of the law is on this, but if your empties are out of sight, a cop probably won't notice them. And if they are found, it helps that they're clearly out of your reach and enclosed -- I doubt a cop would accuse you of climbing over the back seat, unzipping a duffel bag, stashing a bottle, and then climbing back while waiting for the cop to come to your car. Worst case scenario, let a breathalyzer sort it out.

The other day I drove home from MD Big Brew Day with a 6 gallon carboy of wort seatbelted into my passenger seat. I imagined how I would answer if a cop pulled me over and asked if that was beer:

"Not yet officer, but it will be in 6 weeks"


chris.
 

Fingers

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jan 24, 2007
Messages
4,178
Reaction score
48
Location
Lac du Bonnet
Where I am, the only legal way to transport open alcohol is in a car. You can't carry an open container with you anywhere, but you can put it in the trunk of a car. I found that out years ago when the cops busted up a party I was at. There was no way I was getting in my car and driving away, but I had a 24 case of beer that I wasn't leaving behind either. I tried to walk out the front door with it, but the cops stopped me. I finally had to sneak out the back and wiggle through the bushes to get away with my beer. Madness. They want you to leave and then make it into an impossible situation. Can't leave the beer in the guy's house, can't drive with it, can't walk with it.
 

Latest posts

Top