Having a blowout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tdawg

Reaction score
I am brewing a Kolsch with the Wyeast Kolsch yeast. The fermentation really took off and the krausen is starting to come through my 3 piece airlock. I wont be able to get the stuff to make a blow-off tube for a couple of days. Will the beer be safe with just letting it do its messy thing? The airlock is full off goo but still bubbling.

Thanks for your help?

Take off the airlock and let 'er rip. As long as the stuff is going out, any contamination will be pushed out as well. After another day, everything will slow down again so you can put the airlock back on.

Seconding the above idea, just make sure nothing can actually drop into it and you'll be great.

since it's a 3 piece, attatch a hose to the center after removing the cap and run it into a jug of water, like a blow off tube.

Thanks! I took off the airlock and it blew! It went all over the place including me. Hard to believe how much presure had built up!

Back