Haven’t hit final gravity after 7 days, wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lance Rose

Reaction score
Started a Porter last Sunday, OG 1.050 93C7F37F-3735-407C-8394-A5CFE3328E38.jpeg 93C7F37F-3735-407C-8394-A5CFE3328E38.jpeg E6BA6E76-5B9F-47CA-85C9-63F9C55AA635.jpeg FG 1.010-14 after one week sitting at 1.020

So wait a few days and check the gravity before racking or rack now? If I rack now will it continue to ferment, had a taste, it tastes like dark chocolate

So wait a few days and check the gravity before racking or rack now? If I rack now will it continue to ferment, had a taste, it tastes like dark chocolate

If you rack to where?

i have it in a 5 gallon pail, just to another 5 gallon pail

Is this a kit, with instructions to rack to secondary? If so, it's not necessary, and most people don't for most beers. I would give it several more days and check gravity again.

A prepared partial mash, just verbal to rack to secondary from the shop that put it together

I understood racking would help with clarity and taste? I do plan to add some coconut extract prior to bottling, maybe I will just do rack at the end and add that at the end

A prepared partial mash, just verbal to rack to secondary from the shop that put it together

There are some really good LHBSs out there. But in my experience, they are outnumbered by the bad ones. Advising to do a secondary isn't the worst advice ever, but for a beginner making a basic porter, the shop should know better. IMO.

I understood racking would help with clarity and taste?

Time and gravity work the same way in primary as in secondary. Racking to secondary adds one more opportunity for contamination and oxidation. Some will swear by secondaries for clear beer, but IMO there's no clear advantage. For clear beer, give particulates time to settle and rack carefully to your bottling bucket when the time comes.

I do plan to add some coconut extract prior to bottling, maybe I will just do rack at the end and add that at the end

Yes, the extract can go into your bottling bucket, along with the priming sugar solution.

What's your yeast and fermentation temp? Things can progress slowly if the temp is to low.

Let it ride, most folks let primary go for 14 days as a standard. I've had a beer finish in 4 days but you want to let it have the diacetyl rest. Also, if you have a spare fridge, clear out a space on the bottom and chill (cold crash) the fermentor for a couple days before you rack it to the bottling bucket.

Back